Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AsiaKid
  • 1 Post By ArKay

Any teachers here?

Closed Thread

Any teachers here?

What language is taught in the HK classroom? Is it Putonghua or Cantonese? As a beginning teacher, what is more relevant to learn (for the classroom that is)?

I understand Cantonese is better suited for everyday life in HK but what about in the school system? Are the teachers speaking one over the other? Is it 50/50? Thanks....

It depends on the school system. Some schools, like SIS, ISF and CIS, is Mandarin and English. A number of international schools give the option of English or another language (FIS: french, GSIS: german etc) as their primary language.

Local-school wise, most schools centered around either cantonese or english (they are either CMI or EMI schools).

ShawBros likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawBros:
    What language is taught in the HK classroom? Is it Putonghua or Cantonese? As a beginning teacher, what is more relevant to learn (for the classroom that is)?
    Do you mean what languages are taught, or what langauges are used for teaching non-langauge subjects?

All three languages are taught in all govt/subsidised schools, but the vast majority of schools are CMI (Chinese Medium Instruction) so non-langauge subjects are taught in Cantonese. From memory I think there are slightly over 110 EMI schools in which the medium of instruction for all non-language subjects is English.
    ShawBros likes this.

As Arkay says there are two issues, teaching a language and the medium of instruction for non-language subjects.

However you're asking about learning a language in order to teach? I'm not sure what you want to do? You wouldn't normally learn a new language in order to teach it (or teach in a medium of instruction in which you are not fluent).

Of course, it's good to learn Chinese for daily life and in order to better communicate with colleagues if you're working in a local school, but I'm not sure what connection you're making with your teaching?

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay:
    What langauges are used for teaching non-langauge subjects?
    Yes, this is what I was seeking. Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    However you're asking about learning a language in order to teach?
    Sorry, let me clarify. I was interested in finding out what language the teachers and administrators use, as professional educators, to communicate with each other in the school system. Of Putonghua or Cantonese, which is the more widely used /acceptable?

cantonese by a mile