Like Tree9Likes

Employment outlook?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Employment outlook?

hello all! I was wondering if anyone knows what is the employment outlook for a person with a bachelor degree in criminal justice is? I'm interested working in the law enforcement field. Of course I wont be planning a move to HK until I have sponsor from a company for a working visa.

a little info about me, I'm a soon to be probation officer here in California, I'll be working in the city of Los Angeles. I can speak fluent cantonese, but I cant read and write that much. With that, don't know if I can make it in Hong Kong.

ummmm.... do you have the right to work here?

I"m a U.S citizen, right now is just a plan. I wanted to gather as much info as I can before I apply for the necessary documentations and visas.

you can't apply for a visa without a job offer. i would think if you can't read and write chinese you may have a problem.

good luck, though

thanks for your reply, but do you know how competitive it is in the law enforcement field in hk? I can read minimal chinese, as for writing I'm not too good at it

i would guess that without reading and writing, it would be VERY difficult.(could be wrong on that though).

i've not seen many people on here asking about working in "law enforcement" and the police officers i know are mostly chinese (there are still a few expats that are hold-overs from before the hand-over).

I had an interest in HK law enforcement. You are expected to have at least a secondary level (high school) proficiency in Chinese... read/write/speak. If you're serious about getting into that field, put some time into improving your reading and writing.

If I am not mistaken, I don't think an US citizen can work for a foreign government.....I assume when you said you wished to work for law enforcement, you meant the Hong Kong government. Have you checked with the State Dept regarding this issue?

Last edited by Renotommy; 19-03-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:
    If I am not mistaken, I don't think an US citizen can work for a foreign government.....I assume when you said wished to work for law enforcement, you meant the government. Have you checked with the State Dept regarding this issue?

I haven't check with the state dept yet. Thanks for the tips, I'll look into it. And thanks everyone that replied! I'll definitely try to improve my reading and writing skills, just in case I can work for HK government

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast