Like Tree2Likes

Am I under selling myself???

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    it doesnt hurt to say you got better salary offer elsewhere
    That's a fast way to get a "well stop wasting our time and go there then" response a fair few employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Just to put things in perspective. We hire several Fresh Grad (with a few internships under their belt) every year and their salary is ~ 25/35K.
    So it is not necessary to have a few years experience back home. That being said it is of course a big plus and it can only increase your chances. Mind you I am in banking so no idea for civil engineer.
    Engineering and Banking pay grades are not even in the same world... Plus Engineers give more to society than a banker ever would. It's a real shame, real value is not credited in this society.

Mat

But think what banks would be paying grads back in the UK (and US I imagine) - GBP 40 - 50k? HK$25 - 35k per month is still much lower than they'd get elsewhere.

Last edited by Beanieskis; 01-04-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twitceh:
    Plus Engineers give more to society than a banker ever would. It's a real shame, real value is not credited in this society.
    Sterile debate.

Do you KNOW what a banker do?

I do not pretend to know what civil engineer do but my work (as a banker) put me in direct contact with container port / power plant / barging business / mining...professionnals and gives me a pretty good insight as to what those people do and the value they bring to society.

They are indeed indispensable, so are the bankers who help them finance those projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Mat

But think what banks would be paying grads back in the UK (and US I imagine) - GBP 40 - 50k? HK$25 - 35k per month is still much lower than they'd get elsewhere.
    I should add that this was more for support role. FO role are better paid.

Quote Originally Posted by twitceh:
    Plus Engineers give more to society than a banker ever would. .
    Easy to say, impossible to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Easy to say, impossible to prove.
    I don't know about the banking side, but the american code of ethics for civil engineers states that they are to serve the public above all else (yes above our clients, managers, bosses...). I doubt you would find something similar for bankers.
    twitceh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Mat

That's about right re UK. Know a few 2008 grads at the big American banks at Canary Wharf. Most seem to start at about GBP 40k plus 5-10 GBP signing bonus and a little january bonus if they get lucky. Probably make ca. GBP 55-60k for their first year if they get that first bonus, if not, a little less.

Seems like it turn to be discussing abt banking salary now?
    To op: I think ur salary is fine (as u are only graduated in 2009 & eng doesn't reali start with a decent salary here in hk).
    Posted via Mobile Device