Like Tree6Likes

Jobs for Non-Executive English Speakers... NON-EXISTENT

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If you employ someone in a low - mid level position in an office in HK they are certainly going to have to be dealing with people on a daily basis who can only speak canto-pop or prefer to speak canto-pop; so an employer will, certainly want a canto-pop speaker. Cos otherwise you will be lumbered with a serf that will wander into your office multiple times saying that there has been a misunderstanding or most likely as an employer you'll find out only after the SNAFU that communication has caused great wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    And given it is easy to get low - mid level staff with canto-pop; that's what y' employ.

Just want to agree with milanhk that Cantonese is an EASY language to learn - the grammar is an absolute doddle, and if the idea of a tonal language freaks you out then just think of it as singing rather than speaking.
    I picked up the entire spoken grammar, word order, tones and basic vocabulary in a 3 week intensive course, and since then it has just been a matter of picking up more & more vocab. Within 4 years of arriving in HK as an adult I was functioning effectively in a completely Cantonese speaking work environment.
    It's true that written Chinese is a whole 'nother ball game ...

But for heaven's sake don't believe the propaganda that Chinese is a fiendishly difficult language. If you want a job here, then just jump in and swim!

where u had this intensive course?
    any suggestions for mandarin....in NT area...

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Just want to agree with milanhk that Cantonese is an EASY language to learn - the grammar is an absolute doddle, and if the idea of a tonal language freaks you out then just think of it as singing rather than speaking.
    I picked up the entire spoken grammar, word order, tones and basic vocabulary in a 3 week intensive course, and since then it has just been a matter of picking up more & more vocab. Within 4 years of arriving in HK as an adult I was functioning effectively in a completely Cantonese speaking work environment.
    It's true that written Chinese is a whole 'nother ball game ...

But for heaven's sake don't believe the propaganda that Chinese is a fiendishly difficult language. If you want a job here, then just jump in and swim!

Dashing, I did that course more than 20 years ago at a grotty back-street place in Yaumatei - we just called it Dr Chan's language school. I think he was in his 70s then, so I doubt that he's still teaching, but quite possibly some of his assistants might be carrying on the work - maybe someone else on this forum might know.
    The course consisted of small group lessons, individual language lab work, jolly sing-alongs - yes, we learned the tones by singing them - and going out on the street with our tutors to go shopping and order lunch in local eateries (restaurant staff were told that if we didn't order in Cantonese they shouldn't serve us!).

Last edited by chingleutsch; 13-04-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: include additional info

Thats so awesome, I wish someone taught me canto like that, i love jolly sing alongs!