Like Tree2Likes

HK Style Resumes/CV'S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HKFella:
    I guess he also wants to know whether to put in the Canadian no-no's such as date of birth, photo !!! Anyone?
    Good point - any ideas?

Thanks everyone,

I have looked at a couple of sample HK style resumes on the internet and from a friend and their are very noticeable differences between Canadian (North American) style resumes and the HK ones. So it is standard practice to attach a photo of yourself to your resume ?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Steve:
    . So it is standard practice to attach a photo of yourself to your resume ?
    No it isn't. Never did it.

im interested to know what you do when the position description asks for your current salary and your expected salary. im from australia and over there they never ask that. do you ignore the questions? or leave it to negotiation?

I've read somewhere that including photo in the CV is a bad idea unless you look like a supermodel of course.

Did you guys put your work permit status? Like whether require a work permit to work in HK?

The employer will often ask you to enclose a photo with your c.v if the role is going to be in a customer facing role such as cabin crew and Teaching.

As regards to current and expected salary always try to put in a broad range and always say its open to negotiation.

Most say resumes should be 2 pages. I have updated mine and its around 2 and a half is that accecptable? Just that I have been in different positions in 2 out of 3 of my jobs! Does one still need to add like DOB/Age and Nationality? Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean:
    Most say resumes should be 2 pages. I have updated mine and its around 2 and a half is that accecptable?
    There is no rigid rule for how many pages you should have for your resume, as long as it's not ridiculous it'll be fine. I'd rather you use 3 pages to describe yourself thoroughly than making me guess with a 2-page resume that is missing key points.

Does one still need to add like DOB/Age and Nationality?
    When we do hirings (computer related jobs) we don't really care for age/sex/photo/nationality/current salary in the resume. But we want to know the expected salary just to make sure our expectations are not too far apart.

Anything goes, as long as your future employer understands what you want to tell him.

The only thing that counts here is money.

Quote Originally Posted by zane:
    I've read somewhere that including photo in the CV is a bad idea unless you look like a supermodel of course.

I'd like to see a photo in the CV. I want to see how the applicant is taking care of himself, what importance he pays to the application and what she expects from the job. (A lady in underwear, applying for the job of secretary - as can happen in China - will be rejected, for example.)

DOB is quite interesting as well. Someone who held 25 jobs and managed 53 projects to satisfaction and is 23 years old creates suspicion.

One item I look for in applications: does all the information fit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast