Like Tree5Likes

Please advise on my current job offer situation

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8

    Please advise on my current job offer situation

    Hi everyone, hope I can get some advice here:

    I intereviewed for a job which was a junior postion, so on the expected salary, I put down what I feel should be appropriate for that role (this is actually on the high side). I impressed the hell out of the hiring managers and MD with my presentation and after 2 days, they immediately call me and said they can give what I asked for and offered a higher title then what I applied.

    So I went in last week and signed the employment contract and regret not asking for more. Looking back I should have negotiated more due to the fact that I have to work 5.5 days on alternate weeks.

    Also, the office is really far away which makes me feel like asking for more now.

    Should I suck it up and work there for a few months then ask for a raise? Or should I tell them that I need an salary adjustment before I start? (It doesnt hurt to ask right?) My friend suggested me to ask for a parking allowance or some kind of transportation allowance if they wont budge.

    What do you guys think I should do?

    Pros of the job: I like what I will be doing, a lot of things to learn, good career path, umemployed at the moment so no opportunity cost

    Cons: 5.5 days, office location real far,

    Thanks!


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    725

    Depends on what type of person you are and what type of people they are.

    If you really need that money/job then you don't wanna stir the pot, if the parking/pay is more important is more important to you then what your employers will think of you then ask them for allowance.


    Oh yea read before you sign.

    carmine likes this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong at this moment...
    Posts
    188

    you put down what you think you deserve at that moment, and you get it with a better job title.
    don't you know since day 1 how far is the office and your working days/hours?
    the company gives you what you ask for at the beginning. why do they need to offer you more without even getting you onboard? and what's your basis for negotiation?

    carmine likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8

    I know I should have think it over more before signing..but I was actually quite happy just to get hired that I signed right away. Now having second thoughts...

    thanks for anymore advices


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    188

    Why is the distance to the office really far?
    Why is working on a Saturday morning every other week a problem?


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,845

    Based on the pros and cons you haved mentioned I would be inclined not to risk unduly rocking the boat at this stage.
    The thing to remember is that with the benefit of hindsight you could have always negotiated a better deal. Sometimes you just have to go with it.
    It can also look like you are fickle or disorganised for not having raised these issues at tge appropriate time and they may think this is a trait you may repeat again in future.
    Posted via Mobile Device

    carmine likes this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8

    jo: Yes I should have considered all that before I sign, but I didnt which is why I am in this dilemma I am in now. when I put down the expected salary, I was quite desparate as I have been unemployed for a while now and had not been getting any offers. My basis for negotiation? I feel that I am overqualified for the position and probably outshined the rest of the candidates by miles..at least this is how I felt after my presentation and asssignement I did for the boss. So my question is, should i ask for raise now, ask later or bluff that I have another offer that pays more? Or shouldnt even mention it and live with my mistake of putting what I put on the expected salary.

    Last edited by carmine; 21-04-2010 at 08:42 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    Based on the pros and cons you haved mentioned I would be inclined not to risk unduly rocking the boat at this stage.
    The thing to remember is that with the benefit of hindsight you could have always negotiated a better deal. Sometimes you just have to go with it.
    It can also look like you are fickle or disorganised for not having raised these issues at tge appropriate time and they may think this is a trait you may repeat again in future.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I have been thinking the same thing too

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,043

    You go back now after you said yes and ask for more and when is my next salary increase and promotion you are pretty much showing them your true colours which aren't real pretty reading this. It will taint relations with the new employer for certain. If you don't want what they offered and you said yes to, the ethical thing is to turn them down. The other approach is to take the position and keep searching. It doesn't make you look good on your resume but it is easier to find work while you have work.

    carmine likes this.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    76

    haha, similar to buyer's remorse.

    look, i had the same situation happen to me. i can't say what happened to me would happen to you. the position I interviewed for was open for 4 months or so until they gave mean offer to accept the position. They previously asked for my expected salary. I told them what i deemed was right. i later found out that my responsibilities are much more than I thought. Essentially establishing and leading a whole new department. I told them i had no idea it was such a senior position as the job description made no indication. i asked for a raise and esentially took back what i requested initially.

    the HR told me it'll be hard. i took it as a bluff. i was probably right, bu what was riht for sure was he was NOT happy. he was trying hard to convince me that it was against company policy and that my current salary expected was already ahead of other ppl on the same level. The skeptical me took it as his way of creating an excuse. At the end, he tries to play tricks with me and tells me they need to decide and are on the process of deciding. wasted 3 weeks of my time until my head hunter tells me that i did not get the part. i felt down of course. i was looking forward to the post.

    but there's a happy ending to it. I just got an offer today for a job which I believe is more enjoyable, better location and what I believe are better ppl in the company. good luck!

    carmine likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast