Like Tree17Likes

No room for negotiation.. REALLY??!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

No room for negotiation.. REALLY??!!!

I am just so mad. It spent me 4 hours to draft a very detailed email with my requests with all the reasons that back up those requests. The HR just shot me down for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! Is this how it usually is? (I bet yes)

I mean, what else could you do if they sound so firm that there is no room for negotiation? Do you just walk away? Or pretend to walk away and see if they'll call back? I know they want me and my goal is to move back to HK too. But the fact that they don't even consider (or not at least take the time to act like they are considering) just pisses me off. Can someone just slap me with some cruel business facts in Asia so that I feel a little less disgruntled about all these?

Okay, I know I am naive here complaining how HR refuses to negotiate. But I just feel like I'm not getting the respect and they are not showing the sincerity to have me over (despite the way they showed before how much they wanted me and how suitable they thought I was for the position).

And the point of your post is?

Is this a rant, or an actual question here?

If there's an actual question, then some background like the type of company (local/MNC, size, industry), your experience vs the position, the level of the job, etc, would be kind of useful.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

HR is the go-between.

Depends how reasonable your requests were really - sounds like the HR person thinks they were unreasonable and slapped them all down.

Hard to judge who is "wrong/unreasonable" and who is "right/reasonable" without knowing the facts of the matter.

HR in Hong Kong is usually a parking ground for the incompetent or unambitious. Likely the staff there have been told what the company can afford and have no authority (even if they had the initiative) to negotiate.

In other countries, HR staff actually contribute to productivity and dedicate themselves to improving working conditions. Here, they just place badly written job adverts and fail to pay people on time.

For something that requires thinking and decision-making skills, talk to your prospective manager.

Chip on my shoulder? Me?

You mentioned before it was a relatively junior position so negotiation seems unlikely.

...why are you attempting to negotiate with HR, and not your immediate manager or supervisor..?

general rule of thumb- thinking outside the box, raising any issues, or standing out is *NOT* going to happen.

example. HR stated that even though i had reciepts from a DR's office, and proof that i sustained an injury at work (since other colleagues were arround), and all of the associated paperwork- was not sufficient to HR that i needed to take a sick day simply because i didn't have an official DR's note saying i need to be off for one day at work. i had to work around local HR colleagues and reach back to my home office in new york before the issue was sorted.

to answer your Q- depends. if you're well needed enough, and your requests weren't too big, AND you're at an MNC, then you might be able to negotiate more. but the fact that you want to come to hkg- well, if you have other options, then i say eff em. if you don't, bend over and take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    In other countries, HR staff actually contribute to productivity and dedicate themselves to improving working conditions.
    I have heard this theory, but never seen it successfully executed in practice!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast