Anyone in publishing?

Closed Thread

Question Anyone in publishing?

Hi all,

I've recently arrived here with my wife, who is hopefully being sponsored soon (about to submit the application); at the moment we're both on 90-day visas. I'm looking for work in the publishing industry, preferably as an editor, and have a few questions - hope someone can help!

1. What salary can I expect as a junior editor? I have a little experience and a Graduate Diploma in the field.

2. Are my prospects for sponsorship any good? I thought particularly for editing English titles being a native speaker would count for something.

3. Can anyone recommend a recruitment agency that deals with publishing or creative industries? In fact, they might be able to answer the first two questions...

Thanks. Also, a general question: it seems from what I've read (here and at Immigration) that it's easier to move from Dependent Spouse (which I should be soon) to employment than from 90-day visa to employment. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers
    philohk

Thanks mate, have been checking the classifieds and applied for a bunch of stuff but no replies yet - that's why I was wondering about the salary (I've been putting $18000 to $20000) and sponsorship issues. Any ideas?

i thought the easiest thing to do was to put "negotiable" ...

That's what I thought too! It just seemed that companies wanted definite figures and even the salary surveys I've seen weren't much help (didn't include publishing). If it's ok to put negotiable I'll stick to that. Thanks.