Like Tree1Likes

Pgde

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My bf applied to HKU at the start of the year to do the PGDE, but the woman running the course seemed really anti-expats on the course and trying to put ppl off from doing it! I think they are aiming to improve locals role as english teachers rather than for foreigners to gain a cert. It was quite a headache, just the applying process.

Also, the HK PGDE is not totally recognised internationally, as someone mentioned, you would have to do a conversion course back in your own country to make you eligible to teach back home.

And a further point is you would have to pay international school fees here, which is sth like HK$90k?? I'm not sure if that is correct, but I think we saw that figure and were put off.

Anyway, so my bf applied to do the PGCE back in UK, where tuition is paid and he gets a grant, then he will come back.

PDGE - teacher training

having a career change and want to become a primary teacher. Any advice on how to go about it. Am an expat

You can do a PGDE either full-time or part-time. If part-time you need to be working in a school already though. The full-time courses are for people with no/little teaching experience and the uni will sort out teaching placements for you.

HKU and HKIEd run the courses, there may be others at the other unis too, not sure.

Costs around $42,000 for the course if you are applying locally and already have a visa to be here. If you're classed as an overseas student it's about double that.

I know with HKU the deadline has already passed for 2010 start. You could do a TESOL course as an interim measure - get yourself into the classroom see if you like it. This experience will then help any future applications for the PGDE.

annettedethier likes this.

Please can anyone tell me what Major that they went for when doing the PGDE?
    I don't really want to do Eng as a second language major as I feel it might be a bit pointless when I leave for the UK again. Has anyone done General Studies? or Liberal studies?

Cheers for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by cherry2909:
    ...Has anyone done General Studies? ....
    I know that this is an old thread but I am wondering if there is anyone on here that can shed some light on this question.

Thanks.

Has anyone here, or know anyone, who is attending or completed the PGDE programme with a major in General Studies?