can a dependent become a sponsor?

can a dependent become a sponsor?

Wondering if anyone can help with a complicated immigration-related question...

I entered HK on an employment visa, with my wife as a dependent. She subsequently applied for, and received, a work permit herself.

My question is this: If I decided to quit my job, would my wife now be able to become my sponsor? i.e., would we be able to continue living in HK if I was no longer employed by the people who brought me here in the first place?

I'm toying with the idea of setting up my own consultancy. I know, however, that these things often take a while to get off the ground and I'm assuming it would be some time before I would be able to prove the financial viability of the enterprise to the immigration dept.

My wife currently has a 12-month employment visa which is likely to be extended for at least another year by her employer.

Btw, have already checked the immigration dept. site, and earlier posts on this site, and couldn't find anything on the subject.

Any thoughts/ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

A dependant cannot become a sponsor unless you register a company here in H.K and have the dependant as say the MD and then she can sponsor you.

if i read this correctly ... your wife was once a dependent but is no longer...if she now has a work visa, then she should be able to sponsor you....

however, this does NOT allow you to take up ANY work(not even voluntary), this will include doing any business that you may wish to set up...

setting up the business is ok... however, conducting business will be illegal....

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

We're PRs so never had to deal with this dependency thing post July 2003. So how does it work in practice when a dependant gets a "work permit"? Does the dependent status continue in the visa, or does it get changed into a full-fledged employment visa, on par with that of the original sponsor and other employment visa holders? If it's the former, then jimbo's advice would probably apply, otherwise there shouldn't be any curbs on sponsoring (subject to means test), should there? Frogman, is her visa any different from yours?

Thanks for the rapid replies everyone. As far as I can tell, hkfella, her visa is the same as mine (it looks the same in her passport). I'm guessing from all this that we might be able to reverse roles... It might be a good idea to call the immigration hotline before I do anything rash though.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

In that case, it seems to me you ought to be able to reverse roles (former roles actually). Yes, do confirm with Immig Dept. Any inputs, jimbo?

Yes you can. I personally know a couple who did this. No problem. Immigration are very helpful if you talk to them.

Quote Originally Posted by frogman:
    Wondering if anyone can help with a complicated immigration-related question...

I entered HK on an employment visa, with my wife as a dependent. She subsequently applied for, and received, a work permit herself.

My question is this: If I decided to quit my job, would my wife now be able to become my sponsor? i.e., would we be able to continue living in HK if I was no longer employed by the people who brought me here in the first place?

I'm toying with the idea of setting up my own consultancy. I know, however, that these things often take a while to get off the ground and I'm assuming it would be some time before I would be able to prove the financial viability of the enterprise to the immigration dept.

My wife currently has a 12-month employment visa which is likely to be extended for at least another year by her employer.

Btw, have already checked the immigration dept. site, and earlier posts on this site, and couldn't find anything on the subject.

Any thoughts/ideas would be welcome. Thanks.
    Assuming niether has PR status or RTL. Currently, if your wife is employed (has valid employment visa) then an unemployed husband may apply for an dependant visa to remain with her in HK.

However, a dependant visa is NOT permission to work, study, do part time work or voluntary work in HK. If you wish to start a business in HK you may apply for an investment visa, only need about $7 million.

Your wifes employment visa is only valid for her current sponsor (read employer) so legally she cant start a business either.

As a matter of interest what type of consulting?

Then is the much discussed self application for new business, employment visa, submitting biz plan - Never yet met anyone in real life that has achieved that.