Job Opportunity

Closed Thread

Job Opportunity

Hi,

Firstly, great forum with excellent and helpful information. Just a little introduction, I am currently in my last year in uni studying Information Technology. I have always been very keen to work in Hong Kong.

I would just like to ask whether there would be any suitable jobs for someone like me? I understand experience in the industry may help but if possible I would really like to move to HK after I graduate. I'm born and raised in Sydney, but my parents come from China, I am able to speak fluent Cantonese and English. However I am unable to write Chinese and can only read very little Chinese which I think isn't worth mentioning. Are my chances good in finding a job in HK after I graduate and will it be very hard for me to get a work visa?

Your input and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Jay

Hi Jay,

the best thing you can do is decided if you can afford the time and money to actually come to Hong Kong for a couple of months...before you get here prepare a good cv, send it off to some companies you would like to work for with a cover letter, and also start to apply for some positions via job websites such as jobsdb.com, monster.com.hk etc etc...I did this, but I also got a 'Working Holiday Visa' which all Aussies can do, I found that it made getting interviews easier if you can work in HK, even if its only for a couple of months, companies are more likely to offer you a job, as the won't have to sponsor you right away!!! IT, is different to the industry I am in, and I imagine its easier, so why not do a bit of research into the above and see what you can find out....good luck

Thank you very much for your reply! Some great information, I have relatives in HK so I should be able to stay with them while I job hunt, but it is good to know that there are opportunities for a graduate. Thanks once again!

Keep the replies coming please!

learning chinese

I think anyone can learn chinese. Similiar you, I move to the US at a very young age. I can speak chinese fluently. My written and reading is not that good. Because I keep learning from reading and everywhere, my chinese improve so much. I can read newspaper, books, and magazine now. I know so many words. Later on, I'll be good in writing too. The best way to learn chinese is to learn how to read first from newspaper and magazine. I always ask ppls if I don't know a word. Now I am worry my English is getting worse