motivated but unqualified for work

Closed Thread

motivated but unqualified for work

I'd like to work in Hong Kong after I graduate from univesity in the states in June. My major is International Relations, but I'd like to get a job teaching English. My only qualification is the TEFL course that I'm currently taking. Does anybody have any suggestions for me finding a job?

Though you may not have teacher qualifications like BEd / PGDE at this moment, you can still try your luck in the recuritment market. Keep your eyes on the websites, you can send letters to schools / colleges which need some NETs.

If you'd teach in private schools (like tutorial centres), it would be easier as well. So keep the spirit up and let me know if you need further help!

Cheers, Blom

Shortest route to Teaching Certificate

I have the CELTYL and a BA in Educational Studies. What is this Teaching certificate everyone is talking about and what is the quickest route to obtaining one?

Quote Originally Posted by Emuse:
    I have the CELTYL and a BA in Educational Studies. What is this Teaching certificate everyone is talking about and what is the quickest route to obtaining one?
    Teaching Certificate? You mean a qualification or..? The best thing to do in HK would be studying a PGDE (Postgraduate Diploma in Education), but only when your Bachelor is not an initial teacher training (I bet Educational Studies is different than BEd, rite?). If you wanna teach in mainstream schools in the long-run, I'm afraid there's no streamline..

If you teach in private schools / centre, I bet your CELTYL would help you!

Cheers, Blom

Thank you Blom It is as I feared... But the pay in private schools can be better can't it?

Yeah it can be, being private tutor can earn a lot too. So it all depends on what you wanna achieve for being a teacher

Cheers, Blom

Cheer up~

At the moment I am finding it hard to even apply to the right job in Hong Kong. So don't think you are the only one.

Appreantly there are people who will hire native english speakers to teach their little ones english (both speaking and writing) and I am talking about as little as K2 (so that they can get into the famous international school in Hong Kong). You can give that a try.

Try the job search website (www.jobs.gov.hk) and get their address and go into the office and hopefully they can give you some advise.

Good luck~