Unpleasant work environment

Closed Thread

Unpleasant work environment

I have been working at an organization for 6 years since finishing university. For the past two months, I've had to report to a newly-hired supervisor who has clearly taken a dislike to me. Without going into details,
    I have become unpopular after drawing attention to improprieties in some past research/reporting and raising objections to the supervisor's suggested measures (which seem both inadequate and dishonest).
    I have taken the issue to a director, who has mediated, but his patience seems to have worn thin with me for having been assertive.

Although no one has said anything, in practice I seem to have been divested of my responsibilities on various projects. I'm being assigned the type of work I was doing as a fresh graduate and told to submit
    weekly summaries akin to a timesheet.

I feel I am persona non grata at this office and have no future at this organization. I can just go along until I find another job, or I can go on the warpath and raise the issue of these improprieties with higher authorities (it's a small organization and there's really no other senior person from within who can likely help). Either way, I'm rather worried about getting a fair recommendation from this employer in order to move on. This is really the only organization I've worked for and before all this, I was considered
    a good employee. I'm quite concerned that this supervisor and the director will be vindictive and give me a poor reference if contacted by a potential employer.

Can anyone suggest a strategy? If it weren't for this matter, I'd probably resign at once.

What sort of area are you in?

Have you made contacts within the industry, outside your company? Do people outside your reporting structure know you're ok?

At the end of the day you have to be pragmatic.. there are battles and then there are battles you can win. Which would you rather fight?

I agree with Knowitall.

It is best to be pragmatic early-on in your career (esp. with your first job). I've known of situations where people have taken on senior persons within an organisation, early in their career and have struggled subsequently to get work.

I would go the safe road, but this depends on things like, your contact base, the general reputation of the firm/persons, how in demand your skills are.

Mat.

The supervisor is planning to bring in his own team in the company? Or you are a living treat to his position?

As for the reference letter, I believe they are not 'allowed' to write anythiing bad abt you. There was a case where a guy sued his ex-employer for giving negative references, and won the case. But yep, in case they contact yr ex-employer, you don't have much monitoring powers.

Is it normal here for a prior employer to be asked to provide a personal reference on you to a new employer? In the UK, many companies decided the potential for litigation was too high and forbid employees from giving personal references in the name of the company. The HR dept then just supplies a letter of reference saying 'I confirm Mr. X worked here for 6 years in the capacity of Senior Consultant' (or words to that effect). Some companies do allow employees to give personal references for colleagues but only if the letter explicitly says its a personal, not corporate opinion.

I would also ask if there are any formal performance management processes - i.e. is there a formal way to ask for feedback on your performance and discuss your work and future career options with your supervisor or 'career counsellor'? Sounds like you would benefit by having an honest conversation with your management rather than being in the dark about exactly what seems to have changed. If they don't respond to this approach, perhaps you are right and its time to move on.

Last edited by PhilE; 10-03-2006 at 02:24 PM.

Agree with the others, and I'd say make plans to move on. Even if you fought and won, do you think you'd be able to stay happily in the aftermath? Probably not.

You have 6 years experience in your job, and if, as you say, you've been doing it well, that will show in interviews. I don't really know the situation regarding references here in HK, but you can't stay in a bad situation because you're afraid of maybe not getting a good one. It doesn't sound like that situation is ever going to improve much.

One word of caution though - if an interviewer asks why you're leaving, stick to "new oportunities" etc etc. Do not mention internal conflicts or how you feel you've been picked on. These people don't know you yet, and will at least unconsciously have alarm bells going off - "potential trouble-maker", "whiner" etc.

Good luck!

Reference letters are usually irrelevant after a while here in Hong Kong where so much business is done by word of mouth.

I agree with the litigation issue. My last company had the same no references policy.

companies shld not be asking for reference with your currently employing company. that's like telling your company you are leaving, which you might not since you have not made the decision.

some companies will ask your ex-employer, i.e. the one before your current one. but if you have stayed like 5 years in your current job, i doubt they would even be bothered...

If you decide to leave yr current job, the potential employer shall not ask for a reference letter of yr current employer. It sounds ackward for you to approach yr current employer for a reference letter when you are still employed. You only get yr reference letter on the last day on the job, after all procedures, like exit interview, hand over of key, etc.

So, what happens is that you tell yr potential employer that you will provide them with a reference letter later on. (first day with the new employer.)

So, I should not focus too much on the reference part, except when the situation of being jobless is the case. Then yr market value is also lower compared with someone who is jobhunting with a job in his hand.

intermediaries

I have heard that intermediaries are often used in east asia.

Perhaps the old hong kong hands would be able to say if this would be a possible way for the OP to know where he stands and to make firmer plans.

If there were a disinterested person respected or at least not disrespected by either party, who could make inquiries...