Like Tree1Likes

Working on weekends & general work culture

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I work in a local company here and I dealt with many others in HK for some years. What I can said is there are 2 main causes of the staying back late issues:

1) many companies here are understaff, bosses want to give a good run of the money they paid and they expect 1 staff to handle 1.5 to 2 staff's work load. If you just capable to complete your own person work then they will regards you as under performance and will lay you off for other who can work like nobody's busisness.

2) the cultural here measure the value of the staff by quantity but not quality.In most cases the management regards those who work longer are those who contribute more. They dont want workers to "THINK" and they just want their worker to "DO" .

I was planned to use my personal times on weekends to study and recently I found that the management was not happy about it because I cant stay back and help other department on Saturdays. Amazingly, my company will expect their staff(from any department) to stay and work 3 days 3 nites in the office when the peak season come, you dont stay? lay you off~!

My husband is in and working at 9 every morning and out the door by 5 - 5.30 most nights. And yes, is the first to leave. But we didn't move all the way here so he could spend his time at a desk, so until he's told otherwise by his managers he's going to continue. His local colleagues finish work later, but they also start work later - so in terms of actual hours spent working (rather than hours spent 'in the office') it's probably equal.

I work stupid hours but it is my choice and I knew that when I came here. For the first few weeks in December I worked 8am - 2am but now I usually leave the office around 7pm or 8pm and then work at home. I do my best to make sure that my staff are out the door as early as possible. We are all over worked but at the moment there is nothing we can do about it.

As for the weekend I do NOT want them at work on the weekend if we can help it. Sometime we need to pop into the office to fix a problem or send a mail but that is a exception rather than the norm.