Trader job

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Damn nice of you all

Many thanks to everyone replying here. Its all very encouraging. So much so that Im now concerned there is a real chance of landing a job so I have to hold back until Im ready to move down and do interviews. Currently still have a couple of months work to complete here in Shenzhen and is best to not distract till Im ready to move.

Ill post again and pm in a short while. Thanks again everyone.

Keith

Since it seems there is several inv bankers here I'm gonna bump this subject.

I've been offered a FO internship (eq deriv) in a famous Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank. I'm curious about the differences in the market and the way of doing business in Hong Kong and the reputation of this firm on asian equity markets.

Any kind of insight would be appreciated.

Cheers

well, you have to start somewhere right ?!
    just do it and gain your experience. not many people get to step into the FO doing derivatives. if it doesn't work out you can always move to another bank in 2 years time.

Yeah, I'm gonna be more clear.

I'm a French student with a strong mathematical background and a finance/economics specialization. But I don't really want to do quant work and am more attracted by trading/structuring.

This would be a one year internship before I finish my study with either a MSc or a MBA in the US or UK.

I have several internship offers. And I lack the insight to make the choice, particularly about the reputation of said Hong Kong and Shanghai bank compared to other players in Asia.

Many professionals have said to me that the reputation of your employer is more important on a resume than what you have actually done.

On the other hand I already did a first year research internship in a boutique hedge fund and doing research I really got the conviction that Asia was the place to be.

Practically do you think getting the opportunity to work on Asian markets in said Hong Kong bank less/more/equally valuable than doing an internship in UBS NY or JPMorgan London ?

Hi all,

I am a high calibre fresh graduate with a strong set of transferable skills. I would love to join an investment bank however I just missed the HK I-bank Grad recruiting season.

Does anyone here have the connections to help me or can you provide me with any advice as to how I should obtain an offer.

Any help is veyr much appreciated.

Thanks a lot and enjoy all your weekends!

Think carefully before making any move - all trading desks are reckoning there is more downside than upside right now and we may have passed the peak already, which means by the time you become a seasoned trader, things might not be that rosy on the trading side. And trading desks are very fast at letting the latest entrants out...you might end up having spent 1 or 2 years and having to re-position yourself without much to re-sell.

A trader without a good and easy market is like a fish in a drying river....only the really super fit survive.

However, starting in an research or quant associate level entry position will at least give you some broader exposure to Capital markets, open up a larger range of opportunities for evolution and will give you some time to see where the market is heading.

Heard about the sub-prime lending crash in the US and possible domino effects on markets? I would think twice before entering a trading desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfmonkey:

I'm a French student with a strong mathematical background and a finance/economics specialization. But I don't really want to do quant work and am more attracted by trading/structuring.

Practically do you think getting the opportunity to work on Asian markets in said Hong Kong bank less/more/equally valuable than doing an internship in UBS NY or JPMorgan London ?
    Just going to throw a few bank names at you for derivative structuring.... french banks like BNP and Soc Gen. also Braclays, Macquarie, etc.. The "said bank" has no real presence in the field.

Trading derivative structures is exponentially growing in Asia and related to growth in wealth management business. It has nothing to do with market peaks or sub-prime debacle. Infact, if investors can't make easy money buy simply buying anything - there will be a bigger role for you..

Get cracking...

let's put it this way, US is not much of a equity derivative market. if you are doing Fixed income or CDO, yes, by all means go US. else come to asia, i.e. hk or japan.

the market is extremely short of ppl.
    a quanty guy (not a quant) will always have demand. hsbc has its niche. u get to have contacts in china and appreciation of the china market. that's going to be valuable anywhere u go.

jpm in uk has quite a good franchise. again, depends on the field u are going in...

and lastly, a good derivative trader esp in the exotic domain is alwyas in demand, and i don't think a downturn will impact much. i think the next 2-3 years might be bad when china market correct. but i doubt any banks wld want to pull back and give up the biz totally. the sheer volume in china will make all IBs drool and bite the bullet for the 2 years!

My experience so far...

My background:
    I can speak and write both Chinese and English, and do not require any working VISA to work in HK. Currently, I'm living in Canada.

My working experience:
    2.5 years of US equities prop trading, profitable and rather successful. Then I got a chance to get in a hedge fund (managed futures), and became their top trader in 2006, amongst 11 traders. Despite not having a PhD degree in mathematics and physics, I was given a chance to work with the quants.

In January, I took a vacation to HK, and tried to find jobs there. In 3 weeks, I got 4 interviews. After I went back to Canada, I got none, despite trying to keep in touch with the search firm consultants.

Two common excuses I heard from the consultants all the time:
    1. I don't have Asia Experience, and my summer job there 10 years ago doesn't count.
    2. I don't have Asia equities experience... hum, are they blind? The difference between Asia and US equities are minimal, any trader should be able to handle the difference.

Of course, I want to find a new job before moving back to HK. I'm determine to move back for good, just want to play it safe, and there is nothing wrong with my current job, except the location is not what I want to spend in the next 10 years.

I've tried to contact a lot of search firms (I mean it), not a lot of them are helpful. It doesn't look like I would get any interview if I continue to stay in Canada. Moving back to HK won't stop them from using the two excuses I mentioned above... but it looks like that would be my only choice for now.

Just want to share my story, and I welcome anyone to find me a job, recommend me a REAL good consultant, share your front desk stories, etc.

Does anyone know any prop trading company in HK, preferably for futures? I already know Swift Trade. My take is... worst come to worst, I can do prop trading, but I prefer to trade at IB and hedge funds.

Oh right.. I'm only 29 years old, in case you are wondering... I'm not being discriminated (yet), but I know they all do...

Thanks for listening :-).

Last edited by BENG; 29-04-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Hi all

I got an offer for Derivatives Trading? What does everyone think about this career path/prospects.

All comments welcomed!!

Thanks
    Cloud