Afternoon tea at Peninsula Hotel in TST

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Afternoon tea at Peninsula Hotel in TST

Hello,

I am having visitors next weekend, and they really want to have afternoon tea at the Peninsula hotel in TST. They really want to go to this hotel as it came highly recommended from a friend, and they saw it on a TV show.

My question is, given you cannot make a reservation, what is the lineup like on a Saturday or Sunday? Do I have to get there early, or just turn up? I dont really fancy waiting around and standing in line very long. I was going to go and check it out this afternoon, but the weather here is pretty bad and does not encourage going outside.

yeah, it's pretty popular. we were there in june and it was a very long queue.

if you're staying at the hotel then no probs, otherwise join the back of the very very long queue. we didn't stay in the end.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingjack
    Hello,

I am having visitors next weekend, and they really want to have afternoon tea at the Peninsula hotel in TST. They really want to go to this hotel as it came highly recommended from a friend, and they saw it on a TV show.

My question is, given you cannot make a reservation, what is the lineup like on a Saturday or Sunday? Do I have to get there early, or just turn up? I dont really fancy waiting around and standing in line very long. I was going to go and check it out this afternoon, but the weather here is pretty bad and does not encourage going outside.
    i highly recommend AGAINST having afternoon tea there. not only is the queue obsene for the food you get, but the noisy crowd lines up very close to the tables. it's just not a very plesant experience.

try ritz-carlton for a nice traditional english afternoon tea experience, or the chinese restaurant at langham hotel mongkok for a chinese afternoon tea buffet.

jsut my personal opinion.

Agree with the above- people in the Q stare at you waiting to leave and the waiters serve you quickly to increase turnaround.
    We went to the InterCon next door and had what was apparently a better aft'noon tea at less cost. The Island Shangri-La has a good one too.
    The Peninsula does have the 'cool' factor though!

if posssible, pick another day for the Peninsula. it is the nicest afternoon tea for me personally, but can get really crowded weekends. weekdays are fine.

Thanks everyone, I might show them this post and hopefully we can go elsewhere.

I did this on a Sunday about a year ago and I got to the hotel a little before their official start time and just told the waiter I wanted the tea, they sat me right away. After that a line of Japanese built up.

So you might try getting there just a little bit early.

Also you could just try cutting in front of some of the Japanese in the line as they probably won't say anything due to their cultures basic fear of confrontation. I work for some pretty evil Japanese so I don't feel bad doing things like that to them.

Quote Originally Posted by csinc
    I did this on a Sunday about a year ago and I got to the hotel a little before their official start time and just told the waiter I wanted the tea, they sat me right away. After that a line of Japanese built up.

So you might try getting there just a little bit early.

Also you could just try cutting in front of some of the Japanese in the line as they probably won't say anything due to their cultures basic fear of confrontation. I work for some pretty evil Japanese so I don't feel bad doing things like that to them.
    Quite childish. Would be funny if one of them pulled out a sumarai sword and cut you up.

The Pen is the most over rated hotel for food and beverage in Hong Kong.........

Agree with the other posters. Not a big fan of the tea at Penninsular as I think it's over-crowded and over-rated. For a classy tea-time try Intercontinental Hotel. They have huge windows so you get a really
    panoramic view of HK. One tea is enough for 3 people. I took my mother-in-law there and she loved it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast