Like Tree8Likes

Buying a Printer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This is in Taikoo, but I noticed that Apita had two modesl of Canon printers on sale- one was a dedicated high quality photo printer, and the other was one of the more basic MX (multifuction including fax) models.

I've bought a Canon MP648 after some recommendations on this thread: http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread68925.html. I'm quite happy with it- print quality is good for an inkjet, it does duplex and the user interface is very simple. I've not had to deal with ink replacement yet. I bought it from Fortress- couldn't be arsed taking more time to try knock a hundred dollars off, and Fortress does free home delivery so I didn't have to lug it back with me.

In the Canon line, I think that if you want wireless, you have to start towards the high models in the range, so you're looking at start prices around 1500 instead of sub 1000 for the more basic models. Frankly, I'm not convinced that wireless is such a useful feature in a small device which will never move, but I guess it might make placement easier in some situations.

ArKay likes this.

Agree with SH. Cost of ink cartridges for home printers can add up.

The Canon PIXMA printer/scanner (got me an ol' hand-me-down MP450) is pretty good when it comes to these replacements. Used to print off B/W and colour pics, near photo quality, and didn't need to replace ink as often as my friend's ancient Epson.

Half a year ago, bought Canon ink cartridges (IP1600) from 'Golden Computer Accessories' on the first floor of Wanchai Computer City/Centre: Black (40) for $138, Colour (41) for $166. Not bad, but am sure now prices have gone up.

(BTW, a few small IT/office supply stores will even knock off $10 each from the cartridge price if you hand in old Canon ones and buy replacements off them. One 15 mins from me does this.)

Last edited by emmie; 10-06-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    ArKay and Skyhook like this.

Hmm...thanks for that jgl. Wireless appeals because I move my laptop around a lot from my desk to my sofa to my bedroom or wherever I'm working, watching tv, listening to the radio, or whatever (my laptop is everything!). Also means I could put it on a shelf rather take up desk space.

Skyhook likes this.

Wireless is the way to go. Perfect use for these window sills that seem to be a common feature in Hong Kong apartments!

Ha. Nothing so grand as large window sills in my apartment unfortunately! But yeah, now I've started thinking about it, wireless is definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay:
    Hmm...thanks for that jgl. Wireless appeals because I move my laptop around a lot from my desk to my sofa to my bedroom or wherever I'm working, watching tv, listening to the radio, or whatever (my laptop is everything!). Also means I could put it on a shelf rather take up desk space.
    Ah, I had been making a bit of an unexplained assumption here. A lot of inkjet printers (especially the all-in-one models) will have at least wired network connectivity. So you just plunk it down vaguely close to your wireless router, and run a cable between them. Wifi routers invariably have wired ports.

Wifi ability is more useful when you want to put the printer far away from your wifi router.

I have a wireless printer for sale in the classifieds. It is new in the box HP-Photosmart-C4780 Wireless All in One Printer. We received it as a bonus with our new Mac. Great price.

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    I have a wireless printer for sale in the classifieds. It is new in the box HP-Photosmart-C4780 Wireless All in One Printer. We received it as a bonus with our new Mac. Great price.
    Can't find it...

Hi, I'm not sure why the add isn't up.
    You can call me at 2549 4707 as listed in the add. Asking $500. Pokfulam.

Ah...thanks, but went to Fortress on my way home...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2