Like Tree8Likes

Buying a Printer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying a Printer

Anyone know where in Central I can find a selection of printers? Just want a budget one for home use.

Ta

Fortress, by Central MTR. Elsewise, head two shops to Wan Chai and you'll have a choice galore in the computer centre

ArKay likes this.

Choose one that's easy to get supplies for, always the lowest common denominator.

ArKay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Fortress, by Central MTR. Elsewise, head two shops to Wan Chai and you'll have a choice galore in the computer centre
    Is that the one on Des Veoux Rd? Or is there another one in Central?

Wanchai Computer Center has a large printer shop on the second floor in one of the horizontal aisles. OK prices.

298 has a large printer shop (possibly the same owner) on the first floor in the second horizontal aisle ..

ArKay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay:
    Is that the one on Des Veoux Rd? Or is there another one in Central?
    Shun Tak Centre

Store Address : Shop 287A,287B & 288A, 2/F, Shun Tak Centre, 200 Connaught Road,Central
    Tel : 3152 3111
    Opening Hours : 10:30a.m.-08:00p.m. (Mon.-Sun.)

Central Store

Store Address : G/F, Yu Sung Boon Bldg., 107 - 111 Des Voeux Road, Hong Kong
    Tel : 2544 4385
    Opening Hours : 10:30a.m.-07:30p.m. (Mon.-Sat.)
    10:30a.m.-07:00p.m. (Sun.&Public Holiday)

Melbourne Plaza Store

Store Address : Shop 1 & 2, Lower G/F, Melbourne Plaza, 33 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong
    Tel : 2121 1077
    Opening Hours : 10:30a.m.-08:00p.m. (Mon.-Sat.)
    10:30a.m.-07:30p.m. (Sun.&Public Holiday)

West Point Store

Store Address : Shop C, G/F.,Pak Hoo Mansion, 554-560 Queen's Road West
    Tel : 2819 6402
    Opening Hours : 11:30a.m.-9:00p.m. (Mon.-Sat.)
    11:00a.m.-9:00p.m. (Sun.&Public Holiday)
    ArKay likes this.

Ooh...who knew there were that many Fortresses in Central?!

Thanks Geoff.

Last edited by ArKay; 10-06-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Be careful with the budget printers, as they can end up costing you a small fortune in replacement ink cartridges. We replaced our 2 year old $1000 Epson printer with a $2000 Canon MX876 wireless network printer, and after 2 months use, we still have 80% ink capacity left.

Using the old Epson, we would have had to have replaced the ink cartridges at a cost of $400 - $500 a throw, over the same duration.

The ink cartridges cost around the same as the Epson, but are of a larger tank capacity, by my rough guesstimation, ( on our usage) these are only going to need replacement, once or twice a year on our new Canon, versus 6 times a year using the budget priced printer.

In the long run a more economical printer that can print the most copies for a lower consumables cost, at a higher upfront hardware cost, works out much cheaper.

As to where to get a printer, Golden Computer Centre in Sham Shui Po will be worth the MTR visit, as there are lots of printer/pc vendors all under the one roof, competing with one another.

Fortress and Broadway usually offer a popular selection of Canon, Epson, Lexmark & Brother printers, prices wont be as flexible as SSP, but they might have a special deal on offer of a particular model. Best to check what they have out and do a bit of shopping around.

Last edited by Skyhook; 10-06-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Good point Skyhook.

Also, I'd not thought about wireless but now I have I'll definitely get wireless. I know exactly what's going to happen - I'll walk in with the intention of buying some cheap little good enough thing for printing out the odd document and end up buying an all-singing, all-dancing, do-everything printer. Gah.

Replacement ink is where they get you, but it's pretty easy to order refills cartridges online if you want to save a few dollars.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast