Mattresses

Mattresses

I am considering buying a new queen bed prior to the movers getting here in a few weeks. One of my local mattress places is having a sale and for a medium/high quality Sealy queen bed, it roughly costs HK$7200. Can I get something similar like that in HK for that price? If so, where would that be? Also, if I rent a place of roughly 1000 - 1200 sq feet, would it fit in the master bedroom?

Our apartment is about the same size and we have a queen bed in the master bedroom but that is all - there is no room for anything else in that room ie: no storage at all - we use a separate room as a wardrobe. There is a Serta shop in Vicwood Plaza Sheung Wan and Wing On and Sogo both sell mattresses including Sealy but I'm sorry I don't know the prices.

My place is 680 sq. feet, and we have a queen size bed, with a large dresser and bedside table. You should have no problem unless your 1000-1200 sq. ft. apartment has 5 bedrooms or something

mattress

Are you thinking of buying a mattress and base?

Have you thought about whether you'll want to use a HK style bed with underbed storage? If so, you may not want to get base and mattress, and choose mattress that is suited to being used with a platform bed instead.

Whoa!

For what it is worth, I know a queen is a queen is a queen, but I bought a bed and mattress in Hong Kong, a Queen sized bed and frame (a Japanese frame, kind of low profile) and then brought it back to the US. I decided to swap it out with a nice Sealy Queen I bought in NY (800-mattresses I think) and lo and behold, the Hong Kong queen was 5 inches shorter than the American queen. Normally this doesn't really matter, but with the frame we had, there was simply no way to fit an American queen size mattress into a Hong Kong designed bed frame.

The mattress will more than likely fit in your room (if you have a small room you might touch the walls on three sides) but you may not be able to fit the mattress into a Hong Kong designed bed frame.

Was this a fluke? I don't know--I really haven't seen a site that says definitively an HK bed is X inches smaller than a US version (same size), but my own personal experience on this matter was kind of suprising.

I suggest you finalize the dimensions of your room before buying a mattress. The Sealy mattresses I saw may cost cheaper or more expensive depending on the model. I got a Simmons one, 48", at HKD 5K. For the same range with sealy it's around 4K.

Applefan, it just so happens that i have a friend who has a Queen size mattress for sale.

Gimme your mail and i'll send you the details !

Thanks everyone for all the info!

I was thinking of getting the full mattress/box spring set as well as a headboard to which I can attach the set. I have completely forgotten about the HK-style bed frames where you have storage underneath.

I've also heard elsewhere that queen size in HK actually comes in two sizes, one normal US size and one that's smaller. For those who have the smaller size, where do you find sheets that fit???

If you have the smaller one, you can just tuck the sheet in more.

Quote Originally Posted by applefan:
    Thanks everyone for all the info!
    For those who have the smaller size, where do you find sheets that fit???
    it's called the "double" bed at 48 inches wide. A local brand called Casablanca is quite decent, which is what I bought... I can't be bothered to tuck in a queen sheet into my double bed...