Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cookie09

where to buy bed for helper's quarter?

Closed Thread

where to buy bed for helper's quarter?

Hello,

Does anyone have suggestions for where to buy bed for domestic helper's (DH) quarter? The DH's living space is so small and yesterday our search as IKEA and other places revealed that the minimum bed or sofa/bed length is 190 cm whereas the DH room length is 180 cm.

How do people furnish their DH living quarter?
    Thank you.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You can get one made in metal or wood, perhaps with underbed storage (not sure where to buy the mattress though). Or even look at the children's range in Ikea or somewhere like Pricerite.

And then look for a short maid - have a friend with a "stunted" maid's room and she actually stipulates the required height when looking for a new maid.

Just put a mattress in the room with no bed frame, this will save a lot of room and I am sure she will be happy enough with that.

P.S. Before anyone has a go at such a cheap suggestion, we don't have any beds either and in fact in the Philippines apart from me and my wife the rest of the very large household sleep on the living room floor (there are usually between 5 and 10 of them).

Last edited by hullexile; 08-07-2010 at 12:20 PM.

I had a bed made for a small bedroom at Modern House...they can make them to any size according to your specification. Mattress might not be a problem for you - I couldn't find a bed frame/base to fit in my bedroom, but a normal length mattress fit in (just) and the custom built bed base just has a simple, flat platform for the mattress to sit on with no head board, etc.

i just placed my order for a custom made helper furniture last night. it's in 181 wan chai road, jade furniture upstairs. they do all kind of maid/bunk bed-cabinet/storage combinations and i had mine custom made according to our measurements.

according to my friend who works with them a lot, they are good and comparatively affordable.

our structure was a bed frame, bed base at 1.8m height with removable staircase. that piece came to 2800 HKD. mattress (4 inch) included at 420 HKD.
    underneath the structure we have two tall shelf cabinets (1.8m high) and two small cabinets (80cm high). that second part came to around 2700 HKD. all items are non-standard lengths/widths and are made of brownish wood.

installation time is in exactly one month...hope they will meet the deadline

Last edited by cookie09; 08-07-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    bagel likes this.

is there somewhere online that i can have the mattress made? i just moved here and don't have time to search the city. There is already a frame in our apartment and the twin size mattress i bought from the states does not fit. thanks!

Just wanted to follow up that we went to Jade in Wanchai and ordered a helper's bed and mattress customized to our specification for 4780 HKD. However, on a visit yesterday to Home Square in Shatin, we found a shop called Takada and they quoted 3500 HKD for the same specification.

i bought a double storey bed from DSC beginning of year for my helper also. it cost me less than 2k with mattress. at that time i never tot of custom made option and the bed from DSC was the smallest bed i could find in all the furniture shop in hong kong