Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By clarence_kwan_h
  • 1 Post By gdamania

beginner guitar shopping

Closed Thread

beginner guitar shopping

Hello everyone!

I'm interested in buying an acoustic guitar for myself. I'm a beginner although I've tried the classical guitar a few years back (didn't like it).

Does anyone have recommendations? Specifically here are my questions:

1) What's a good brand and model?
    2) Where to shop (preferably HK Island)?
    3) What is the price range I should be expecting? I'm looking for something mid-range for a beginner - preferably not some cheap China-made guitars.
    4) I also wonder if I should get the strings re-stringed to nylon? A friend of mine did that because else it was too painful for her.

Thanks in advance!

i am also a interested i buying a guitar.. any recommendations?

Tom Lee in Wanchai. Ask the shop assistant, they can usually give u useful suggestion, although their manner is not good.......

yanmin likes this.

This is a good place to go if you want value for money. Hard to find as the shop has now moved upstairs, but they have a pretty good selection of guitars.
    http://www.nelsonpc.com.hk/index_top...didpath=/51029

yanmin likes this.

Thanks folks.

I've checked out Tom Lee near where I work. They're recommending Ibanez and Fender.

The prices range from ~HKD 700 to HKD 1700 for beginners.

Has anyone heard of Ibanez? (I've heard of Fender.) Would be great to get a brand review!

Never ever trust advice from Tom Lee staff, they only hire clowns who give the most horrid advice and know absolutely zero. Everything depends on your budget but good brands like Taylor, Yamaha,.. make beginner acoustics. I personally don't like Ibanez electric guitars, but am yet to try their acoustic range.

Another good place is Camel Studio in Mong Kok - good price, good service.

Address : Shop 2,1/F, Hung Kwong Shopping Arcade,
    2A - 2P Tung Choi Street, Mongkok, Kowloon
    Tel : 3421 2587

i'm also shopping for a beginner guitar and found the info on this thread still relevant and helpful. I'd like to add another shop to the list that had some reasonably priced options for beginners:

seigakudo studios
    +852 3483 7471 (by appt only)
    Suite 16A, Johnson Centre
    13 Hau Fook Street, TST MTR exit B2

I met with Mr. Sanchez Lam who patiently explained the differences in the build, model features and even personally demoed the tonal ranges of the guitars he had on display. He is a guitarist, song writer and composer with many years of experience. There was no pressure to buy and I felt that he was genuinely into music and doing this to introduce something that he is passionate about to others. In addition to the beginner models, we also saw some built with rare wood. Hope this helps others that is looking to start. oh yes, the studio also offers one on one guitar lessions ($800 for four lessons).

Last edited by detangler; 31-12-2011 at 01:13 AM.