What do you miss the most about your home country (or place that you moved from)?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Norway's my home country. Besides family, I miss the fresh air, snowy mornings, trips to the mountain lodge, space, runs through the forest after the rain. Don't miss much food because food here is great. But I do miss proper bread and such products. Bread is great in Norway, here not so much...

So looking at it, the big thing is definitely nature and the freedom it gives you.

Interestingly, and I've never thought about it that way, as PDLM mentioned in an early post. The list of things I'd probably miss in HK would also be quite long if I was to leave.

Just goes to show that nowhere is perfect, so just gotta focus on the good things in life wherever you are and let the positive things keep you happy.

what exactly is fish and chips? i see it on outback's menu for lunches...
    is it just deep fried boneless fish with potato wedges?

is outbacks a decent representation? maybe ill try it for lunch today....

London summers, all 2 weeks of them! IMO, there's nowhere quite like London in the summer and everyone seems to cheer up for 5 minutes or so as it's not drizzling for a change!
    Sitting on the grass in a park with a bottle of wine and some friends before decamping to the pub for the rest of the evening.
    The Sunday Times over lazy breakfast in bed (enough reading material for the rest of the week if you eke it out.)
    Reasonably priced cheese, in particular Double Gloucester with chives. Mmm.
    UK clothes shops, although many do now deliver to HK - hooray!
    Standing in my back garden first thing in the morning, enjoying the peace and quiet (yes, even in London!)
    Urban foxes sussing me out from the top of my shed.
    My bath (our HK flat is too small to have one.)
    Ditto my huge range oven.

But as others have said, there's loads I'd miss about HK if I left. I love this city and it continues to surprise me.
    Swings and roundabouts...

seems like a good location bread shop would do well here.....perhaps anyone wants to go in business together? you front the money and the operations...and ill be the quality assurance food taster.

The one thing I find I miss most is the sound of the dawn chorus of the birds that roost in the trees around my house.
    After that it's the long, hot, dry summers and the wide open spaces.
    When I go back I miss all the convenience of HK, the buses and MTR, the food.
    Two different worlds.

dot.zen

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    (I hate roast dinners, yorkshire pudding, fish and chips, deep-fried Mars bars etc).
    deep fried mars bars?!?! where can you get that? i've never heard of it!!!

now that i am in hk, i miss-
    -plenty of decent brunch places (fyi a live cockroache landed on me at the Brunch Club / Peel Street about a month ago. its a shame as i like the food there but needless to say i will never go back again)

-big kitchen, where you can have a simple get-together dinner w friends in the evenings

-decent price fresh salad

-charity shops- i hate just throwing ok quality, usable but non-essential things out to the bin. i always gave them away to charities

-decent scones! the proper countryside ones! the closest i could find in london was Muffin Man at high street ken..

while in was in the UK i missed-
    -convenient and safety

-cleaniness & basic hygiene (everywhere)

-general efficiency and reliable public transport that actually works ...

You can get decent Fish n Chips (and deep-fried Mars bars apparently, although it's not something I've ever tried) at The Chippy in Pottinger Street (the official address is Wellington Street, but the entrance is down a few steps behind the stalls on Pottinger).

Last edited by PDLM; 26-08-2010 at 12:25 PM.

What I miss from home -
    1. Family
    2. Cheap but good Indian food, especially dosas and idlis
    3. Radio
    4. Access to hindi books
    5. Desi movies in cinema halls
    6. Stars at night
    7. Summer at home, when you laze around in the afternoon and then water your plants which leads to that typical smell of wet soil.
    8. Birds' chirrupping in the morning and evening.

Last edited by gunsnroses; 26-08-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    What I miss from home -
    1. Family
    2. Cheap but good Indian food, especially dosas and idlis
    3. Radio
    4. Access to hindi books
    5. Desi movies in cinema halls
    6. Stars at night
    7. Summer at home, when you laze around in the afternoon and then water your plants which leads to that typical smell of wet soil.
    8. Birds' chirrupping in the morning and evening.
    Damn, you just made me homesick!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You can get decent Fish n Chips (and deep-fried Mars bars apparently, although it's not something I've ever tried) at [URL="http://www.thechippy.com.hk"]
    I went there again with colleagues recently and it hasn't improved - still terrible service, sticky tables and smelly. Have you been there recently, as I am wondering whether it has gone downhill in the last few month? I understand the owner (Globe pub?) is looking to sell or has sold which might have something to do with it.