Cracked Wheat/bulghur?

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Cracked Wheat/bulghur?

Where can I get some?
    reg supermarket/citysuper are clueless
    and wheat flakes will not do
    I need it to make a vat of haleem

Have you tried Great and/or Oliver's? Both those places tend to carry more choice of grains than Citysuper. Those are the places I go when I want specialty grains (e.g. things like spelt flour, flaxseed meal ....) I haven't specifically looked for cracked wheat or bulgur there, but it might be your best bet. Great carries a ton of "Red Mill" grain products so I would recommend to try there first. Oliver's also has a decent selection.

Last edited by nina_70; 20-10-2006 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks Nina, I avoid Oliver's as I always great drawn to The Panhandler-but just called them and they do indeed have it, so I guess a visit tommorow is called for

Bulghur at City Super

Hi,
    They do have bulghur at City Super; it was located in the pasta section, in the one in IFC in the flour aisle and was, I recall, on the bottom shelf near the popcorn. They move crap around a lot there so it may not be there anymore so check the Muesli aisle where they also keep the flax seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by wenzi:
    Hi,
    They do have bulghur at City Super;
    I was there on Thursday with the supervisor on his knees handing me stuff from the bottom shelf and the most interesting stuff to surface was matzoh ball batter. Must get that next time.

BUT

Oliver's has it and all is right with the world!

cheaper grains

Well, at least you found some. If you ever need couscous buy it at Park 'n Shop at the Queen's Road store; it is much cheaper than the boutique places. Popcorn, too. Will look for bulghur next time because you just never know.

Smile Oliver's rocks!

Got some bulghur which was very nice but the find of the year has to be organic cracked rye which I also picked up.

The taste and texture has ensured that I have been supping on haleem pretty much all weekend; with varying ratios of bulghur and cracked rye.

Yum!

For anything health food/organic related, the new ThreeSixty supermarket at the Landmark (3/F) will almost definitely have it.

Quote Originally Posted by eat_drink:
    For anything health food/organic related, the new ThreeSixty supermarket at the Landmark (3/F) will almost definitely have it.
    Yes it does - The cracked wheat,rye,grits etc are all there and placed at eye level unlike the other shops.