Western/Central Market

Closed Thread

Western/Central Market

I have ben in Hong Kong a long time. Never been to Central or Western Market.......I have a friend who is coming to HK soon and they were recomended a visit to these places while here... I guess I will take them there. They say they can buy fabric and such there? Is this right?.....Like I say, never been there....I live on outlying island and never had the need?
    Thanks
    Toad

Yes, you can buy fabrics in Western Market on the first floor. Lots of silks, shirt cottons, I think there's also a guy who does suiting fabric.

There are a few places that sell fabric in Western market but to be honest I was dissappointed with the range of fabric and the cost of them. If you want fabric and trimmings you would be better off going to Kowloon and visiting Sham Shui Po, there is a much wider choice- we were spoilt for choice here, and the prices are more reasonable.

There's also quite a good place near Western Market. I think it's either 208 or 220 Queens Rd Central, on the south side of the street.

I visited Hong Kong last year and one reason was to purchase fabric.(Mainly cottons) It depends on what you want as most of the markets have some and a lot sell mainly silk. I found Sham Shui Po the best Exit A2 of the MTR and turn left at the big market (I think it is two streets straight ahead)and search around. Most shops only had samples that could be ordered from China but some street sellers had rolls. We had a ball searching so hope you have fun too.