IKEA: Is it just me?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IKEA: Is it just me?

Am I the only person who thinks that Ikea is probably one of the most awful shopping experiences you can have in Hong Kong?
    Against my wishes i had to go there today to get loads of stuff (HKD30,000 worth) for an event we're doing (at the client's request) but when I got there they had no brochures for me to take because they ran out a few weeks ago. They then wouldn't take one of the many that they have out of the plastic binders and when i tried to explain it to the customer services gimp he just kept saying 'No! Cannot have, cannot'.
    Fortunately when I told the client she has told me to go elsewhere so that saves me having to go there again.
    I have heard other people come back with horror stories about their stock and the service but didn't think it was quite that bad.
    I went to their website to see if I could browse their stock on there but had to leave after 4.2 seconds as I was getting a severe migraine from it. Apparently it doesn't have anything on it anyway. (edit: just checked again and they have changed it).
    So, anyone have any other suggestions on where I can get some cheap tat furniture from?

Last edited by Lammarite; 24-11-2006 at 04:24 PM.

well.. i brought an ikea catalog with me from vancouver. i'm crazy arent i? but they dont mail it to ur door like they do there.

Jade Rattan has beds and cabinets similar to IKEA but less choices and they do custom made ones.
    And they have a website.

Then there is Horizons Plaza in Ap Lei Chau.
    And there is a furniture street in Hung Hom, (Bus# 5 from Star Ferry Pier TST).

I went to IKEA last year to get a blanket for my IKEA bed and the sales guy told me to piss off: they 'never sold this kind of bed. I must have made a mistake, and they don't have this kind of blanket'

However, I found the blanket I was looking for after some searching.

Online Ikea Catalog

this is the online catalog i look at...

http://www.ikea.com.hk/online_cat/default.asp

Yep the one in CWB is totally frustrating. Never enough staff in the store and the layout traps you. You should be able to get in an out in the middle. And on the weekends it just horrific.

larac, I hate being trapped in there too. The people mosie about and it's just awful if you are in a rush to move.

Good choice of inexpensive goods though. It's the only place I know of like it in HK so it's where I go often.

They do need more help. I could not get anyone to help me lift a heavy unit off the shelf to buy and finally another customer pitched in and we did it together !

It's also the cheapest place to get a real christmas tree!!!

There are real Christmas trees for sale at the Christmas Fair in front of IFC mall as well.

(Sorry Shri!)

Arent you supposed to be at the fair? I'm heading over ...

doesnt the fair end at 7pm??
    i wont be able to make it. pish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast