Advice on buying a camera bag?

Closed Thread

Advice on buying a camera bag?

Hi
    I am looking to purchase a camera bag as a gift, and I had a few questions:

- Which brand do people recommend for a decent level that is fashionable and durable without paying the top end.

- What advice can people give me for purchasing (i.e. compartments, pockets to look out for etc)..

- Where is a good place to go to purchase these camera accessories from? (preferably someone around central or wanchai).

Would greatly appreciate any feedback or help.

Cheers

1. Is it for Men / Women? I personally like Kata and Tamrac
    2. Do you need a tripod socket? Are the compartments adjustable? Backpack or slingshot?
    Will leave the rest to pros!
    3. I am not aware of anything on the Island side.
    Based on the recommendations on this forum, I went to Tin Cheung camera in TST ; they have a huge variety of bags on display on the 1st floor and the staff are friendly too.

How big is your camera, how many accessories do you have?

Have a look at Tin Cheung, as the above poster has suggested, they have a range of camera bags.

Like the above poster, I like Kata as well, however note, they are very overpriced in HK.

Hi

To answer some of the questions from above

- It will be a female user
    - The aim is to carry one camerra and 2 lenses, something which has adjustible/flexible compartments probably works best.

It's really a question of personal preference.

An old-fashioned, square shoulder bag will allow you to get you gear in and out quickly but will be harder to carry.

A more trendy, modern shoulder bag will often be slimmer and look better but often make it harder to access your gear.

A rucksack will spread the load better and be easier to carry but makes it much harder to get gear in and out on the move.

Depends what's important to you and what kind of shooting you do.

If you're looking for somewhere in Central or Wan Chai then you're looking at the camera shops in Stanley Street, Central or the computer Centre in Wan Chai which has a couple of bag shops.

If you're prepared to invest an extra 15 mins taking a couple of extra MTR stops to Mongkok they'll have much more range in Camera Street in Mongkok.

I just saw the Kata bags and thought they were quite nice designs (Bumblebee and Bug). Camera compartment on the bottom and space on top for personal effects, coat, lunch. Also room for a laptop. Although in knapsack format, the side pocket allows easy access. But they are not cheap.

I also like Crumpler for the over one shoulder type bag or messenger style. Lots of cool colours and well padded.

The old standby is Lowepro (I have 4 of these) but these look quite staid by comparison.

Bought this for my friend and he loves it

http://www.chimpbags.com/

Lowepro Slingshot

People will say it's the obvious choice......well it's the obvious choice for a reason!!

I'm guessing that the OP already bought a bag... two years ago.