Queen Ensemble Beds

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Queen Ensemble Beds

Where in Hong Kong can I buy Queen Ensemble Beds?

We'll be moving to Hong Kong around the end of January and I can't seem to find any retailers who sell them?

Kate, why don't you buy an ensemble from Oz and ship it over, or are you starting from scratch with the furniture hunting here? David Jones in Oz does good ensembles. I bought mine from there years ago - it's now thrown away due to age and what the cat did to it one day. When you arrive, you can try ShaTin Home Store. There is a Sealy shop there.

I'm looking for a new one, too next year ( I have a queen size wrought iron frame), so PM me when you arrive if you would like a shopping buddy.

Also, as my mum has informed me, it is cheaper to buy the bedlinen from Australia ( the sales are on) than here. I've looked just about everywhere fo bedlinen and have found it eyebrow raising-ly expensive.

What is an ensemble bed?

Bedlinen is cheap here, go to the markets or one of the smaller shops. Avoid the department stores.

Why get an ensemble? The bottom box springs do nothing except take up space. In HK where space is at a premium, there are better options such as using a wooden frame or a hydraulic lift bed that let you use the area under the bed for storage.

Buying mattresses is pretty easy- all the department stores carry Western brands, though they are quite expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Kate, why don't you buy an ensemble from Oz and ship it over, or are you starting from scratch with the furniture hunting here? David Jones in Oz does good ensembles. I bought mine from there years ago - it's now thrown away due to age and what the cat did to it one day. When you arrive, you can try ShaTin Home Store. There is a Sealy shop there.

I'm looking for a new one, too next year ( I have a queen size wrought iron frame), so PM me when you arrive if you would like a shopping buddy.

Also, as my mum has informed me, it is cheaper to buy the bedlinen from Australia ( the sales are on) than here. I've looked just about everywhere fo bedlinen and have found it eyebrow raising-ly expensive.
    Thanks for that advice. I thought about buying here and shipping over. Just not sure that we have left ourselves enough time.

Thank-you so much for the bedlinen advice. I was thinking about that but then thought I'd buy there. Glad you've told me that.

We have a lot but would be nice for a few new covers.

We have beds here that we could ship over.

We wanted the ensemble because we like the idea of designing and changing our own bedheads.

An ensemble is a bit that has just a base and a mattress on top. No bed frame, posts, bed head so to speak.

Oz mattress sizes might be different than HK sizes by several inches. I think there's a Wikipedia article that describes international bed sizing.

If you want to design your own bedheads, you can just get custom furniture made in Macau to look like anything you want. A queen made out of solid elmwood should cost you around a thousand Aussie dollars.

Thanks guys. Will definitely keep those in mind. Have set the linen link as favourite. Still don't have an ensemble retailer though. We may just have to bite the bullet and take our own which are quite chunky timber. I'm just worried about room.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate from Oz:
    We have beds here that we could ship over.

We wanted the ensemble because we like the idea of designing and changing our own bedheads.

An ensemble is a bit that has just a base and a mattress on top. No bed frame, posts, bed head so to speak.
    lol, yes, after I left Oz for the UK I was surprised to find nobody knew what a an ensemble or a doona was!

I'm sure you'll find a place with a big enough bedroom. We have a king size bed ( brought over from Dubai, and a queen size frame) and still found an apartment with a good size bedroom. I can recommend two very good real estate letting agents if you need.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast