Where to buy a Sewing Machine

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kyojee:
    I just gotten mine today from the Singer shop today. It's model 8280, purchased it for HKD 1938. I called Uny (Taikoo) but they said they don't bring in any at the moment. Yue Hwa had no response via their hotline, so I popped down to the Singer shop directly. If anyone's keen on Singer machines, it seems there are 3 branches (info as per my receipt.)

HK Branch: Shop No. 3, G/F, Tung Hing Court, 88 Queen's Road West, Hong Kong. (tel: 25590183)

Kowloon Branch: Shop No. G18, G/F, Golden Plaza, 745-747 Nathan Road, Kowloon, (tel: 27713571) - <directions: Prince Edward MTR, Exit C1, turn right.>

New Territories: Shop No. C37, 1/F, Hop Yick Plaza, Tai Tong Road, Yuen Long, N.T. (tel: 24783139)

Happy shopping & sewing!!!
    Is it generally cheaper to buy decent quality sewing machines (Singer, brother, etc..) in HK, or o/s? I usually travel back to Oz, or to US n UK from time to time every year...

Quote Originally Posted by kayakkingoz:
    Is it generally cheaper to buy decent quality sewing machines (Singer, brother, etc..) in HK, or o/s? I usually travel back to Oz, or to US n UK from time to time every year...
    check and find out. the voltage from the US machine may not work in hong kong. a sewing machine is also very heavy.

I got mine from the US, even with the postage it was better value than the ones I saw in the department stores, although I never shopped around local / independent stores as I was worried about needing to return faulty goods.

I did need to buy a voltage converter but it was only $50 hkd and quite small so that wasn't a problem.

If you want an industrial sewing machine, you will probably find a great deal here but if you want a more domestic one then they are more expensive here from what I've seen and limiting in choice of models. I assumed the reason for this is because not many people sew in Hong Kong domestically ?

BUT when you buy from the US, you will also have problems with finding stores that will actually ship to you ! So many American companies can't be arsed to deal with international shipping.

Last edited by London2HK; 18-11-2010 at 07:43 PM.