Like Tree21Likes

info on Digital Compact Camera (with specific requirements)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

info on Digital Compact Camera (with specific requirements)

I posted a thread a few months back asking about digital compact camera.
    This time too I need some info, but have specific requirements:

1) small in size, as in should fit in trousers pocket
    2) not more than HKD2500 unless something really good
    3) not very delicate
    5) 12 times zoom atleast
    4) MUST give good pics in low light/dimlight.

Please do let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks.

Last edited by Editor; 06-01-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Seems a tough combination of features. If it's small that generally means a small sensor so poor low light performance. 12x zoom lens is not going to be good for low light either. And you want it cheap too. I don't know the ins and outs of particular cheap compacts on the market but overall it seems tough to combine all those features.

You can check out details of current cameras here: Digital Camera Product Reviews: Digital Photography Review or ask on the forums there.

This is a few months out of date now but will give you an idea of the options: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

Last edited by dipper; 04-01-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    mercury_element likes this.

What are you going to do with the pics? Post on internet? Make 4x6" prints? If this is the case, there is a good chance your (high end) camera phone will work for you needs UNLESS you are taking photos of things that move and/or need precise control of depth of field.
    iPhone4 vs Nikon D700 » Joe Hendricks Photography
    The cheap way to get around your #4 and #5 criteria are . . . #5 crop photo on computer to simulate digital zoom and #4 buy a small tripod to shoot in low-light situations (provided you are not shooting anything moving).

The problem with wanting both #4 and #5 is that they are usually mutually exclusive. If you have a point-n-shoot w/a great optical zoom capabilities, it will be a slow lens at the longer lengths. And a slow lens means poorer low-light performance.

Basically, you are asking for a lot. Something like a Nikon D700 body for great high ISO performance (good in low light) and some sort of fast (pro), telephoto lens. We're talking about 15 lbs of gear in your hands and $35,000 fewer dollars in your bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    What are you going to do with the pics? Post on internet? Make 4x6" prints? If this is the case, there is a good chance your (high end) camera phone will work for you needs UNLESS you are taking photos of things that move and/or need precise control of depth of field.
    iPhone4 vs Nikon D700 � Joe Hendricks Photography
    The cheap way to get around your #4 and #5 criteria are . . . #5 crop photo on computer to simulate digital zoom and #4 buy a small tripod to shoot in low-light situations (provided you are not shooting anything moving).

The problem with wanting both #4 and #5 is that they are usually mutually exclusive. If you have a point-n-shoot w/a great optical zoom capabilities, it will be a slow lens at the longer lengths. And a slow lens means poorer low-light performance.

Basically, you are asking for a lot. Something like a Nikon D700 body for great high ISO performance (good in low light) and some sort of fast (pro), telephoto lens. We're talking about 15 lbs of gear in your hands and $35,000 fewer dollars in your bank account.
    Just realised I numbered my post requirementgs wrongly.

I am looking for a compact camera actually, that can fit in pocket, not the bulky geared one.

I think I need to lower my requirement then, as this camera we need basically to click pics of events/stage shows etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Seems a tough combination of features. If it's small that generally means a small sensor so poor low light performance. 12x zoom lens is not going to be good for low light either. And you want it cheap too. I don't know the ins and outs of particular cheap compacts on the market but overall it seems tough to combine all those features.

You can check out details of current cameras here: Digital Camera Product Reviews: Digital Photography Review or ask on the forums there.

This is a few months out of date now but will give you an idea of the options: 'Compact Super Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q2 2010) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
    if I go for something with both #4 and #5, how much $$ am I talking about?

I will check the forums you mentioned to get some info.

Stupid stupid me!!!!!

Just realised ( thanks to a dear geo friend) the title of the thread is wrong....i meant Digital Compact Camera.

No wonder so much confusion.

Admin: please help me change the title.

Thanks.

Go Fuji.
    I have the Fuji F31fd, and the F200EXR.... They are top quality low light shots for compact market. These are both older models, and generally perform better then newer models, even by newer Fuji models.

Check out DPReview.com for some good research, and ask in their forums for some more advice.

The OP didn't specify "optical".

Not unless you're suggesting jailbreaking it and reprogramming it with your own software. My Canon SX200IS, for example, has a 12X optical zoom, with a further 4X digital zoom (if I choose not to disable it).

Zooming with a compact in low light is like shooting mud at midnight. Its far easier to walk closer to your subject then to add non-existent exposure. It would make more sense to shoot with a camera that handles low light excellently, and follow up in post processing to crop slightly for their added zoom.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast