Jewish Deli in HK

Closed Thread

Jewish Deli in HK

Is there a good Jewish deli in HK, kosher or otherwise?

I know there is like two places on Hong Kong Island to get Kosher products. Not sure locations. I know someone who does and next time I talk to them I will make sure they take a look at this thread (unless of course they get to it before I get to them)

PS Is it possible to have a Jewish deli that is not kosher? If it wasn't kosher it wouldn't be Jewish would it?

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Is it possible to have a Jewish deli that is not kosher? If it wasn't kosher it wouldn't be Jewish would it?
    I could easily be mistaken, but since some of my Jewish friends keep kosher and others don't, I assume that the same can be said of Jewish delis. No?

The Jewish Club in mid levels has a kosher cafe and you don't need to be a member to get takeaways and perhaps even dine in, you need to check.

For grocery shopping, Great Food Hall often have deli items that are kosher.

Okay... there are two kosher places in Hong Kong - one is the Jewish Community Center in Mid-levels, and the other is a smaller place in Central. Neither, really, is what I'd call a deli, although they both have a few deli-like things on the menu...

Probably the most deli-type place I can think of, although it's not kosher and I've never actually eaten there, is Archie B's (I think) in Soho, next door to Poco Loco, in the little alleyway just above the Pure gym. There's also the bagel place in Soho - again, not really a deli, but with some deli-like features...

goodkarma - you're right to say that Great (and I'd add Olivers) have some deli stuff, but I wouldn't expect for a moment any of it to be kosher, except *maybe* some sealed imported stuff like the Israeli humous they do...

And yes, 'Jewish deli' is more of a style of food, of restaurant, than any particular comment on the kosherness of the food - in New York, you'd expect a deli to be kosher, but in most of the rest of the world, it's optional.