Buying Local Hip-Hop Music

Closed Thread

Buying Local Hip-Hop Music

Does anyone know where you can buy Hong Kong hip hop music? I have a preference for the underground stuff and I'm envisioning a store that's tiny with some vinyl and a bunch of cd's from random dudes in Hong Kong. There used to be a place on Temple Street but it's now closed. Anything?

There is this store in Macau called Headz and they seem to be involved in the local hip-hop scene, I think they sell the music at their store.

HEADZ*
    HEADZ* | Facebook

I have heard some of the acts they support and tbh they are all pretty awful. They don't really seem to get it, the music is very commercial West Coast US inspired and syllabically it is just a mess.

I dislike shooting people down when they're not asking for opinions, but...

US hiphop and local's music are both horrible. They're either tasteless or profit minded when creating music (merely my opinion)

The Koreans give music a lot more heart and are a lot more value worthy to support.
    As an example:
    YouTube - Drunken Tiger - Question (Feat. Ann)

Since you're into hiphop, got any good recommendations?

Not listening to it much these days, more into DnB and dubstep and some rock styles so don't get much time to go on the hunt for hip-hop. I listen to a lot of UK and Aussie stuff. The only Americans that have been jumping back on to my mp3 player recently have been Jay Electronica, Mos Def, Pharoahe Monch and those guys from OFWGKTA have been making interesting stuff even tho the hipsters are all over them. Plus they did one of the most awesome live tv performances ever.

From the UK I am liking P Money, Blacks and Ghetts lately but that stuff is more grime. Skinnyman, Foreign Beggars and Mystro always show up on my mp3 player regularly.

For Aussie stuff, not much lately except maybe Raven and a couple of producer CDs by Crate Creeps and M-Phazes.

I want to listen to more US stuff because lyrically the underground stuff there is great but the beats coming out of the US are just garbage. The producers there think that a kick drum and a Wutang sample is the only important part of a track. They started taking stuff from the UK recently but they just squeezed all of goodness out of those grime tracks and turned it into more garbage.

Some French stuff is pretty great as well eg. IAM and Shurik'n.

Last edited by methosb; 19-03-2011 at 02:24 AM.

awesome! thanks for the lead methosb (even if the stuff is horrid).
    this is cool - i don't know much hip hop outside of north america so it's always good to see names tossed around. not sure if i agree with all US rap being horrible but i can see where that's coming from. a lot of it is uninspired and lazy, however, with some digging, you can find some really cool stuff.

just so canada can get some love, here is the guy that should be getting more respect than that mainstream pop/rap drake. 'shad' out of london, ontario, canada.

YouTube - SHAD - Yaa I Get It (Official Video)

Damn, nice link, gonna have to look into some of his stuff. That is definitely more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by marcass:
    just so canada can get some love...
    Some more, absolutely love his humor.
    YouTube - Everyday Normal Guy

With regards to the US hiphop, it isn't so much they're lazy creating the music (although that may also be true, I don't know). But the way that it headed over the years didn't attract many listeners to favor this genre. And it's not the fault of the genre itself. US's Hip Hop and rap conjures up these images of a few black dude with guns, acting hardcore, etc... Not to mention, inability to sing in a comprehensible manner. It's as though if you want to know what it's singing, you couldn't unless you resort to reading the written lyrics. Tastelessly using the F-words all over the place. I don't find that hardcore at all. A lot of people find it offensive. It's teaching kids on the street to behave like that because they have no good role models to imitate. As for myself, there's also something about the harsh beat they create that just couldn't capture me. There usually isn't too much music to it either.

But it doesn't have to be that way. It's that way ONLY because it's been that way for US hip hop & rap.

Mexican
    YouTube - MC Magic - Sexy Lady

Norway
    YouTube - Multicyde - The Claptrap
    YouTube - Multicyde - A Better Day

Notice they're not trying to act hardcore. The guns and swearing should be seen separately from hip hop & rap.
    Last edited by Creative83; 19-03-2011 at 11:34 PM.

By the way, there is a local hip hop event this weekend at Fringe Club, I am sure they will have some CDs for sale there:
    Beat In Vision Vol.4《United In Rhythm: A Hip Hop Summit for Charity》