Like Tree5Likes

Traditional wet shaving supplies?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Traditional wet shaving supplies?

Hi guys,

Do you wet shave with traditional wet shave goods like double edged safety razors, shaving soap, badger shaving brush and etc?

I am thinking about importing some basic wet shaving supplies for retail in HK(on line base) but do we have a sizable market to sustain such a business? I have been communicating with several suppliers but I am still pretty much clueless on the consumer end that I have no idea what guys are looking for when it comes traditional shaving.

All kind of opinions are welcome and I would love to hear from you soon!

Thank you!

most of this can be found in a bunch of the shops. i tried a bunch of it from lane crawford, and they have most of the art of shaving and a few other brands as well.

One word. Gillette.

Very few people use traditional soap and brush and double edged razors. It's all gel and 3 / 4 blade heads, preferably vibrating. Even the old traditional high end vendors like Floris moved to gels, etc 10 years ago.

i hate gels, cant use them. but i cant use the brushes either. it all irritates my face too much. so i must use foams and a newish 3+ blade every time.

I miss brushes. I don't know if it's that as I've gotten older my beard is tougher or shaving cream is less effective but even with a gillette turbo mach 10 with bright orange metal parts I still feel the blade tugging!! Years ago I used to go to an old Italian guy on Rundle Street in Adelaide and he used to cut and then shave the old fashioned way for about 8 dollars Australian - and he was fast, very fast. lol, you could also buy and smoke cigarettes and cigars in his shop! Needless to say, they're all gone now, shame really, damn, I'm going to be forty next year!!

InigoMontoya likes this.

My son bought me the traditional razor years ago as I liked a shave in the barber shop when I was in Mexico but for some reason I was too chicken to advance past a safety razor.

I find razor blades simply don't last here or my beard is too tough lately.

I see many Chinese here don't seem to have to shave much - not sure the market is big here especially the traditional.

januasiaexpat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    ... damn, I'm going to be forty next year!!
    Really, you don"t a day under 50 in your video.
    bryant.english likes this.

I use a combination of the above. I do use the brush, which I dip into a shaving mug half-filled with warm water to moisten my face, and I also use it to spread the gel around the stubble. Then I use a Gillette Mach 3 head to finish the job.

I am sure that I must fall under the minority. I had to go into a general store at the ground level of Chung King Mansions in order to buy the shaving brush. I know that either L'Occitane or Body Shop used to stock shaving set which consisted of a brush and a wooden or ceramic cup, but it was discontinued.

shave in the shower, solves all your beard softness issues.
    be careful!

Usually just import my gear from West Coast Shaving in the US, postage is cheap and prices are cheap.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast