dvd rental

Closed Thread

dvd rental

For some reason I can't find anywhere to rent DVDs. I work in Central and would prefer something near there, but I live above Kowloon station, so near there or perhaps in Olympic MTR station would work also. Any ideas?

You might want to check out Movieland. They are saying that they have a store in Lan Kwai Fong. No is 25268549. I have never gone there though and was never able to access their web site which is supposed to be emovieland.com

I used to subscribe to Movieflys for a couple of months but it was not worth it. Response was acceptable at first, you get a new DVD 2-3 days after you have returned one back then response time became slower making the service expensive.

Yep Movieland is opposite C-Bar on D'Aguilar Street.

No need to rent as you can buy China imported DVDs at the same price. I'd love to know how the shops in SSP don't get closed whilst all the PC game shops closed and the console shops are extremely wary.

Does anybody know where you can rent/buy movies for download on line? Seems silly messing around with DVDs in this day and age. All our TVs are networked so i would rather just download the movie to the hard drive and watch on TV.

From this,

Anyplex -- the Only TV Video-On-Demand (VOD) in Hong Kong -- HONG KONG, Aug. 31 /PRNewswire-Asia/ --

I would assume this,

Anyplex數碼點播

But the copyright tag is 2009 and the favicon.ico is default so I don't know how reliable they are.

Netflix apparently works here but you need a US buddy to set it up.

OK, I had a look at Anyplex and it seems you have to have an Olevia TV which seems pretty dumb. I've sent them an e-mail to see if it's possible to use a pc or media player connected to the tv.

Anyplex confirmed you have to have an Olevia TV or buy a particular set-top box to use the service which is a shame. They don't seem to have a great range of movies available but at $20 a month I would have signed up. Probably not worth it if you need to spend a $1000 or so on a set-top box for each tv to access a pretty limited range of movies.

How about something like iTunes, much though I dislike the evil Apple empire, if you have a UK credit card can you sign up to iTunes UK and download movies for rental? Or is there a Netflix UK service?

They seem pretty determined to make it difficult to take the legal route. I'd quite happily pay a reasonable fee for a well-run, reliable, legal service rather than messing around hunting for stuff through peer to peer.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2:
    I'm using an online DVD rental shop just like netflix one. DVDs and BDs are available. It is cheap and works great. May be a good choice for you.
    You can download/watch the movie online or is it one of those wacky postal systems?

Yeah, it seems that US movie studios are paranoid about piracy in Asia and are reluctant to license distribution on line in Asia. Of course that means that there is no other way to sensibly access their content other than illegally so it's a self-perpetuating cycle.