Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blueorchid84

Sambong leaves and brumea lanceolaria leaves???

Closed Thread

Sambong leaves and brumea lanceolaria leaves???

Hi,

Anyone knows if I can find these cooking ingredients in Hong Kong? I went to Kowloon where there are many Thai shop, but I can't find sambong leaves and brumea leaves anywhere. So if you guys ever see it, plz plz plz let me know. I do need it for my special authentic food for my family .

Btw, I post these pix to show how they look like

Thanks so much for any help!!!!

jayinhongkong likes this.

I have sambong tea in the kitchen--try Worldwide House as it is used in traditional Filipino medicine. You will probably only be able to get it as tea however. I'd love to see the recipe you're using sambong in: sounds very interesting!

I want to cook a Vietnamese dish. I'm not sure whether you like it and this dish is very authentic VNese food. It's Pork/Beef/Eel spring rolls with sambong/brumea leaves.

I will marinate meat first (with salt, ground black pepper, chilli flakes, fish sauce, saute onion, if u use beef, then add milk and some flour) and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. Then spread the leaves, put meat into strip on the leaves and roll, use spring onion to tie the rolls (spring onion dip through hot water). Then add oil to the pan and fried the rolls over meidium heat, make sure the leaves won't be burned. The leaves will add great smell and taste to the meat.

What makes me think you may not like is because it has a slight bitterness (very light) and some people don't really enjoy. However, it's impossible to find these leaves here. I'd better go to find other recipes to move forward with my party.

Thanks so much for your help .

It actually sounds quite interesting to me. Thanks for sharing. I'll see if I can locate some fresh sambong in the Philippines this weekend. Don't know much about brumea lanceolaria, but I'll do some reading later tonight!

it turns out it is actually blumea lanceolaria, and blumea balsamifera = sambong!

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 23-03-2011 at 07:12 PM.