Bargaining when buying jewellery

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bargaining when buying jewellery

My friend went to Causeway Bay to buy an engagement ring and wedding bands. She went to one of those smaller shops with the sales people standing outside. She was able to get almost 50% off the asking price on her rings.... Is this a normal thing to do while jewellery shopping in HK or only at smaller jewellery places? Like if I wanted to go into Chow Tai Fook or those larger chains, would I be able to bargain off their asking price too or would they just think I'm strange?

Bargaining : perfectly normal and expected. Feel free to bargain in all the jewellery shops.

Getting 50% off ticket : pefectly normal and expected. Ticket prices are fantasy and anyone who pays ticket prices for jewellery should have their head examined.

The only exceptions to the above rules are when you are buying name brand jewellery and watches. Cartier, Bulgari, Rolex etc; on such items, dont expect much more than 5-10%

HC

50% off would mean that the cost is mostly design or the materials are not of quality.

Remember too, that Chinese people are very good barginers. So, as they have the product and know the pricing, they will create a false impression of demand to get a high price from you. To get a better price you need to understand this oriental mentality. They want to sell, so you need to make them realize that your money can go anywhere, and give them some incentive to offer you the best price. Also do not be scared to negotiate a price, then go back and compare the alternative price, and then renegotiate a lower price, as that is what a Chinese business man will do to you all the time, especially if you are a European or French.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    The only exceptions to the above rules are when you are buying name brand jewellery and watches. Cartier, Bulgari, Rolex etc; on such items, dont expect much more than 5-10%
    I got 27% off a Tag Heuer. 25% for the watch, extra 2% for paying cash.

thanks for everyone's insightful replies!

how about if the shop clearly displays a sign that say "NO BARGAINING" lol

also would you guys bargain at Tiffany's???

Quote Originally Posted by pekoe:
    thanks for everyone's insightful replies!

how about if the shop clearly displays a sign that say "NO BARGAINING" lol

I wouldn't shop at Tiffany's.

Quote Originally Posted by pekoe:
    I woudnt buy Tiffany's out of principle. Its just overpriced and not worth it.

However, I can tell you catergorically: yes, you can bargain at Tiffany's. Dont expect much more than 5-10% and dont expect to bargain for small items.

HC

Just came across these posts and am very surprised to hear about how possible it is to bargain at jewellery stores in HK.

I've been looking out for platinum wedding bands and gold wedding bangles in all the Fooks and larger stores (Chow Tai Fook, Luk Fook etc...) and they don't seem that willing to give much of a discount at all worth considering!

Especially with gold items, they are all saying that the price of gold is set at whatever rate it is at that moment and the weight of the item. I'm told you can only bargain on the workmanship fee which doesn't end up much of a discount anyway when you're spending tens of thousands on pure gold wedding bangles. So is it true that you can bargain to get 5-10% off with gold items in the Chinese jeweller's as it all seems way overpriced!

I asked a couple of the Tiffany's too, but they won't give any discount.
    I also asked about the quality of the platinum bands and the chinese jewellers sell wedding bands with higher percentage of pure platinum than Tiffany's and thousands of dollars cheaper than Tiffany's too(although the design is a teeny bit better at Tiffany's - not really worth the extra money!).

On top of that, while Tiffany charges to inscribe anything per letter or number etc... the Chinese jeweller's do it for free.

If anyone knows when or where it's best to buy platinum wedding bands or gold wedding bangles then would love the advice.

Last edited by chips; 31-03-2011 at 11:33 AM.

I bought some last weekend in Chow Tai Fook and got a 5% off. Virtually nil bargaining. I felt the prices we paid were very reasonable.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast