Advice to buy PDA!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advice to buy PDA!

Hi!

I am looking to buy a pocket PC... i dont need a phone alongwith it or anything,just need it for reading..to store books/journals/papers etc and be able to read while on the move.. i am looking at..
    1. Dell Axim X51V
    2. Palm based pocket PC - which model?

Need suggestions,
    1.Which is a better operatiing system w.r.t. e-books?
    2.What criteria do i need to look into before buying one?
    3.Any recommendations other than dell or palm?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by oormila; 19-04-2007 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oormila:
    Hi!

I am looking to buy a pocket PC... i dont need a phone alongwith it or anything,just need it for reading..to store books/journals/papers etc and be able to read while on the move.. i am looking at..
    1. Dell Axim X51V

Need suggestions,

I'd go for one with a VGA screen (640x400). it makes reading chm and pdf files much easier on the eye. I have an imate jasjar, its bulky as a brick, but then it does everything so that the only thing i need to carry about.

~skype on your pda

FYI ~ skype will run on PocketPC but NOT the PalmOS.

PalmOS is more simple but limited compared to PocketPC. It may take a little more effort to configure your PocketPC but you have more options.

Hardware points, generally (depending) on the models you are looking the PocketPC Units Dell (for example) pack twice the processing power of the palm.

IMHO - both Palm and PocketPC need to release a major update to their OS's. I feel that PocketPC is more current than the Palm counterpart, especially regarding telephony & documents.

The dell x51 is very nice and a good bang for the buck. The x51 is less than HP or Toshiba with the same performance specs.

>> be able to read while on the move..

Be very careful with this .. my eyes hurt after 10 minutes of emailing while on the bus / taxi due to the constant motion.

HP / Compaq PDA still look good ...

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I have a dopod 838 pro and find that reading is tough on it mainly due to the small screen size, does the i-mate jasjar have a bigger screen size? and any idea what is costs in HK?

Thanks KIA for the important piece of info..but sometimes i need to quickly read up a little here and there and so hopefully wont be straining my eyes too much!

Hi!

1. Dell Axim X51V

Need suggestions,

I own a Palm Life Drive and love it. It has 4GB hard drive storage and great for reading e-books. I also have some multi-media on there, MP3, Movies, etc. It has a slot for SD Cards, GPS is an easy add-on, WIFI & Blutooth built in, and I can open all my MS Office documents (MSWord, Excel, Powerpoint). Combined with a portable/foldable keyboard its a great pocket PC.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobi...ers/lifedrive/

Is the palm life drive available in Hongkong climber07?Also,any idea about where to buy and how much would it cost?
    Thanks!

Is the palm life drive available in Hongkong climber07?Also,any idea about where to buy and how much would it cost?
    Thanks!
    Actually I bought mine in U.S. about a year ago and paid about $400 back then for it.

Looks like PALM has some presence in Hong Kong. Here is the HK site I found. Looks like they are having a promotion on it right now until May 31st for $2,880!

http://www.palm.com/hk/ie/products/m...e/details.html

Here is a list of local Hong Kong retailers which carry Palm products:

http://www.palm.com/hk/ie/products/wheretobuy/

Good Luck with whatever you buy.

I did see the palm website sometime ago...the special price, it says, is till may 31st 2006!!!not sure if that is a typo error or actually means that!! will check anyhow...
    being some one who has used palm..how tough do u think it would be to use for someone like me who isnt great with computers!
    Thanks again!

I did see the palm website sometime ago...the special price, it says, is till may 31st 2006!!!not sure if that is a typo error or actually means that!! will check anyhow...
    being some one who has used palm..how tough do u think it would be to use for someone like me who isnt great with computers!
    Thanks again!
    Seriosly If I can use it, trust me you can use it. Its very simple.....just click on the icon and go. I never really had another PDA or Pocket PC other than Palm, so I definetely have some bias, however I always liked the fact that their instructions are actually written in English and not in techno-geek. Very simple to pick-up and go.

Honestly, the best thing to do, is go to a store and play with it, or go to Wanachai Computer Center and try out other models, see what you like and what looks like the most simple thing to use and go with that. Don't rely on the post for suggestions on something that is very much a "personal" preference. Just go to the store and try it.
    Last edited by climber07; 19-04-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast