Like Tree1Likes

Baby Milk Scandal (why does HK seem the only place with a shortage of that good stuff?)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

There is a joke that if you want to kill yourself, don't buy poison from China, because it is all fake and you won't die.

HongKongFoot likes this.

I think is disguisting what China allows to take place with milk, and chemical additives and so on. The irony of this all is that RICH chinese actually choose to buy most of their food which has been imported. But there poorer and local Chinese then get all the low-quality poorly produced product.

what I don't understand is the perception that there IS a shortage here...we've had our daughter on formula for 3+ years and have NEVER had to search outside our local supermarket...and no, we aren't using some cheap local brand...shortage has never been a problem for us

I find it incredible that so many people rely on formula when the alternative, which is better for the kid, is free and untainted. The Chinese are just brand crazy.

I've noticed in Mannings the other day huge big tins of milk powder. They are so big it's like a 10 litre paint can. I will have a closer look next time.

Quote Originally Posted by chateau:
    The irony of this all is that RICH chinese actually choose to buy most of their food which has been imported.
    Yes, the rich people in China can shop at places wity higher standards, it's true. But in general it doesn't mean a lot if a product says imported or "made in xxx" in China. I have seen fake cognac and fake vine, so why not label food products as imported if you can sell them 500% more expensive.

I have also had rich Chinese taking me out to restaurants, which they believed where top notch quality with the finest cuisine available. In my book these places where often sub standard.

Don't worry, the rich get screwed too. Rich does not equal intelligent or gifted with common sense, especially in China. I don't mind if they pay a few thousand RMB for a fake bottle of XO or VSOP... you should see their face if you tell them it's fake
    Last edited by 100LL; 13-05-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I find it incredible that so many people rely on formula when the alternative, which is better for the kid, is free and untainted. The Chinese are just brand crazy.
    there are many different reasons (not excuses) why women choose the nurse or use formula. I wouldn't put it down to i-sheep style herd mentality or brand craziness...and when you consider that 300,000 babies were reportedly affected by the first tainted milk scandal, that's alot of families NOT buying the expensive brands

personally, breastfeeding a 3 year old seems a bit odd to me...my numbers were a bit off as our daughter nursed for about 8 months till we switched to formula for the last 2.5 years

There was a shortage of our brand in Sai Kung recently which is a Euro brand and not normally sought by the masses. But as everything else had gone so had that. So yes there have been shortages and it is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    what I don't understand is the perception that there IS a shortage here...we've had our daughter on formula for 3+ years and have NEVER had to search outside our local supermarket...and no, we aren't using some cheap local brand...shortage has never been a problem for us
    Lucky you...however from my own experience I can tell you that certain brands (Emfa for sure)run hot and cold. One day every shop you go in will have it and the next there is a mad panick and people are buying as many cans as they can get their hands on. I never noticed this until the first time we ran out and I went looking at 9pm at night. What a pain in the ass!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Many reasons Moving, both medical and practical.