Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By limepickle

Bookstore Without Plastic-Wrapped American Test Prep Books

Closed Thread

Bookstore Without Plastic-Wrapped American Test Prep Books

I went to the Page One bookstore in Harbour City in TST, and almost all of the American test prep books (LSAT, MCAT, GRE) were in plastic wrap, not allowing me to see what's inside before buying. Is there a store selling similar test prep books but without the plastic wrap like Barnes and Noble and Borders in the US? Thanks.

If you ask the staff nicely they can open it up for you to take a look. Unless you were thinking of taking photos of the pages with your smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by dclchan:
    I went to the Page One bookstore in Harbour City in TST, and almost all of the American test prep books (LSAT, MCAT, GRE) were in plastic wrap, not allowing me to see what's inside before buying...
    Page One there is one of my usual haunts... And I've had no problems taking several books of interest - often with intent to buy 'least one - to one of their counters and asking the (friendly) staff to split open the wraps for a browse and 'a comparison'. They don't mind, so long as you're not standing there reading for ever, each and every occasion you're there. They'd just rather their pristine books don't undergo too much unnecessary fingering (not 'nice' for serious booklovers)...

A friend told me that bookshops use plastic wrap to prevent humidity from ruining the book. But then why aren't all the books plastic-wrapped and also, I can't imagine that the humidity would be very high in a bookstore, especially if it's in an ice-cold mall!

>> I can't imagine that the humidity would be very high in a bookstore, especially if it's in an ice-cold mall!

But it could be high in the warehouses where they're stored for months.

bryant.english likes this.

Yes, just ask the staff and they will let you unwrap the books of course.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    But it could be high in the warehouses where they're stored for months.
    Ah... but then the same few books I get the staff to split the wraps off of (so I get a look/read) when replaced on shelves, get neatly plastic-bagged again, just days later. In air-conned shop, not warehouse - so my theory stands.

(Anyway, who'd pick up and pay for the slightly dog-eared or scuffed book when you can get its near enough virgin clone - albeit cling-filmed - off same shelf? )

TigerSun - The first year or so living in HK, I was often a bit p***ed at seeing lots of books in shops all plastic wrapped... till friends told me I could easily, politely ask the staff if I could remove the wrap for 'a browse' - or get them to do it for me, if they show slight resistance... No probs, usually. Got used to it.

Original Post Deleted
    That could catch on. You should make a proverb out of it...
    Fiona in HKG and dipper like this.

Some good places to check for books(cheap): Commercial Press, PageOne, Cosmos Books (maybe)

I have some old ones for sale if you want! message me if you're interested. All in near new condition: (AMSCO's AP Calc AB/BC, Barrons SAT Physics 2007edition, 1100 Words you need to know, AP US history 7th Edition) Got the covers in plastic sleeves which you can take off if you want to expose them to the real world.

but yeah, just ask nicely and they'll open them up for you.