Like Tree55Likes

Children not allowed to read at Bookazine

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Well not to play Devil's advocate, but in the States and Canada, you can go to a bookstore and read a book. And I mean sit there all day long browse and read books/magazines. You dont even have to reshelve them and the magazines are not kept in plastic bags like they are here.
    Exactly that BUT this is not the States or Canada. The majority of places would not allow this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Haha. Bet he ended up buying it new.

Seriously though in a second hand bookshop it's a bit more acceptable since you're not effectively rendering a book unsellable when you read/ let your child read it!
    True and we would be very easy going, even served coffee to regulars, but it is nice if they do eventually buy something. National Books (I think it is anyway) has a kid's area where I am pretty sure they can read books - so the OP could try there.

Well our stores have more than 1 copy of a particular book/magazine so that the first one in the pile is for people to thumb through, read, etc. Also there is a 15 to 90 day return policy on books depending on the store.

We have some of the most flexible and lenient return policies anywhere in the world. Saw someone return a whole cooked crab minus the meat (Eaten) to a grocery store and they refunded the money. Was in line at Costco to return a defective item, someone in front of me was holding a half eaten water melon. Their excuse? It wasnt sweet. Costco refunded their money.

The majority of the large chain stores back home have very good return policies, its all about consumer protection and satisfaction. Versus HK where once the money changes hands, you're essentially fcked if something is wrong or you had a change of heart.

Now if only GF's were this easy to get ride of...

In Australia we have some book cafes were you can read, relax and eat/drink for as long as you like. I have heard the occasional complaint about books ending up marked but overall they are doing well. I think a big difference is that the business is making money out of the food and drinks the customer has even if they dont end up buying a book.
    Lets face it though, most of the time I buy more because I find other interesting 'treasures' as I am relaxing and looking through the shelves. I am sure I am not the only one.
    No matter what country, I think you have to respect what the shop owner wants and how they want to look after their goods. Otherwise, find somewhere else.

Creative83 and HowardCoombs like this.

Sorry OP but I have to agree with most people here. If you want to read books for free go to the library and let those of us who are willing to pay for the books we read get them in mint condition.

Anyhow wouldn't you be setting a much better example for your child by introducing her to the wonders of the library rather then not to go into a shop where they were just doing their job, that is selling.

In any case thanks for the post. I'm going to make sure the next time I am in that particular Bookazine I thank them for a job well done.

jimbo and dear giant like this.

Well our stores have more than 1 copy of a particular book/magazine so that the first one in the pile is for people to thumb through, read, etc. Also there is a 15 to 90 day return policy on books depending on the store.

We have some of the most flexible and lenient return policies anywhere in the world. Saw someone return a whole cooked crab minus the meat (Eaten) to a grocery store and they refunded the money. Was in line at Costco to return a defective item, someone in front of me was holding a half eaten water melon. Their excuse? It wasnt sweet. Costco refunded their money.

The majority of the large chain stores back home have very good return policies, its all about consumer protection and satisfaction. Versus HK where once the money changes hands, you're essentially fcked if something is wrong or you had a change of heart.

Hmmm, to me this kind of leniency doesn't equate to keeping customers satisfied... more like it spoils them and makes them think it's ok to stamp their feet tantrum style when things don't quite go their way, a la OP's 8 exclamation marks in response to being told a book shop is a shop for books.

To me, it's pretty normal that if you want a book, you buy it first, especially in this day and age where you can read a book review on your mobile phone.
    jimbo likes this.

Gavelina, actually we do borrow books from our school, club and public libraries every week. Guess you have never brought your kid to a bookstore. I personally don't read at bookstores. We are talking about a 5 yr old kid who does not READ yet. I guess they were afraid that the kid would ruin their mint condition books by flipping through them. If they are afraid they should do what some other bookstores do, wrap the books. Oh and don't put out kiddie furniture to make kids feel they can sit there to read. I wonder how they deal with the same policy at the IFC store where it is even more inviting for the kids and their parents. I know, advice from all - I'll go o a children's bookstore next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuberuse:
    I guess they were afraid that the kid would ruin their mint condition books by flipping through them.
    this probably. Then again grownups usually aren't that careful with things that don't belong to them...

Back home we don't have the custom to read a book at the store, so I was kinda surprised to see 2 youngsters camping at the Page One. sitting on the floor, legs out blocking the aisle. But none of employees said anything about it so I thought it was normal in HK. I do miss skimming through all the magazines here..

I find the whole thing odd as they're trying to brand themselves as a child friendly destination.

Could well be one employee who was having a bad day. From what I gather, their owners are very accessible. Drop them a line and vent....

Address: Shop 309-313A, Prince's Building
    Central, Hong Kong
    Phone: (852) 2522 1785
    Email: [email protected]
    URL: www.bookazine.com.hk
    Football16 likes this.

dude stop riding her, read a book instead
    Fiona in HKG and Dreadnought like this.