Like Tree3Likes

Where to find beautiful chocolate

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shaross:

Morrison, curious about your comment about the smaller cafes in France/Germany. Most places don't manufacture chocolate, they will buy from the big chocolate houses and possibly blend at most and then produce from that. ..........

Thanks again!
    I will look into that and get back to you, it might take a while.

Saw Valrhona at conrad's cake shop in admiralty.

Agnes b's block chocolate is great. I just bought some dark chocolate with mixed nuts. I heard that their chocolate is actually made from valrhona's chocolate which is unbeatable IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by orphan:
    i heard of armani chocolate, where can i get them?
    The Armani store in Central would be the obvious starting point

Maison du Chocolat is pretty good but very costly. Last I remember i bought some at Pacific Place, and the truffles were very nice. You can also buy some of the 'chocolate pellets' for homemade hot chocolate!

if you are looking for chocolates for cooking/baking you can try this link http://www.twinsco.com/GenCategory.php?cat_id=21
    The website is in Chinese so you may have to use google translate or any translator for that matter. They sell big bars of Valrhona brand chocolates. They have a branch in Wan Chai, but may not appeal to you as the locations are not high-end.

Quote Originally Posted by shaross:
    I live in Australia (the land foresaken of good European chocolate) and will be spending some time in Hong Kong soon and I really hope to be able to stock up on some great chocolate - but need some help of where to find them. I'm more inclined towards blocks of chocolate rather than individual chocolates.

I must admit to being an extreme chocolate snob and apologise to anyone who I may offend with my idea of what rubbish is (therefore Godiva, Neuhaus, anything from Marks and Spencer and generally Belgium and Switzerland are most definitely off my list).

If I haven't offended you or your chocolate sensibilities and you're still reading, I'm looking for the good stuff - the French and Italians generally. Brands like Amedei, Bonnat, Henri Le Roux, El Ceibo, even a little Valrhona would be great. I do understand there is a La Maison du Chocolat and Pierre Marcoloni (with a rare nod to the Belgians) and John Paul Hevin (chocolate isn't so good but the macaroons are - at least in France). Any other suggestions for this chocolate snob would be hugely appreciated - I am just about to deplete my stash brought back from Europe on my last trip and am starting to get a little desperate.

Likewise, I have an addiction to good macaroons (also rare in Australia) so recommendations on that front would be fabulous as well.

And thanks enormously for sharing your local knowledge!!
    Chocolatier Goossens in Happy Valley.

Not been or tried the goods but on the list of places to go-

Gourmet House
    With their factory in Chai Wan, Gourmet House are suppliers to five-star hotels, airlines, restaurants and clubs and they are the only Hong Kong manufacturer of cocoa bean dragee – real cocoa beans coated in chocolate of various percentages.
    2898 2220, [email protected]
    Gourmet House LTD.

U can find Amadei in city super as also other chocolate brands from France/Italy . I totally understand what u r talking abt genuine chocolate ...it's addictive

All this time I thought godiva was good. Seems I have a lot to learn