Like Tree1Likes

Is Hong Kong faster than the internet?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Hong Kong faster than the internet?

Given that internet shopping has never really taken off in HK does that suggest the very efficient clustered model of shopping (e.g. Sneaker street) is more efficient (or fun) than looking on the internet.

or
    http://www.amazon.com

Definitely not!!! Cluster shopping makes no sense when all stores stock the same stuffs. I prefer the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by qlloaky:
    Definitely not!!! Cluster shopping makes no sense when all stores stock the same stuffs. I prefer the Internet
    An when many of the stores are owned by the same guys!

More like Hong Kong has stuff I'm looking for so I don't shop online much anymore. I believe that's why net shopping is not as much of a trend in Hong Kong as elsewhere.

Only stuff I get online now are contact lens and books. What else would you get? Clothes / shoes that may or may not fit? Electronics that sells cheaper in Hong Kong?

You can get anything online. Cheaper than brick and mortar stores.. same day delivery, shipping is free. return shipping is free. Of course, I am talking about China.
    electronics are cheaper in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    More like Hong Kong has stuff I'm looking for so I don't shop online much anymore. I believe that's why net shopping is not as much of a trend in Hong Kong as elsewhere.

Only stuff I get online now are contact lens and books. What else would you get? Clothes / shoes that may or may not fit? Electronics that sells cheaper in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by pizzalover:
    You can get anything online. Cheaper than brick and mortar stores.. same day delivery, shipping is free. return shipping is free. Of course, I am talking about China.
    electronics are cheaper in the US.
    Electronics in Hong Kong is generally cheaper. I think you're restricting yourself to US brand electronics when you claim US is cheaper.

As an example, I recently bought an Acer 3820TG i5 / HD 5850 / 2 gig ram laptop. I wonder how much more inexpensive you can purchase it online in the US and have it sent to Hong Kong and still beat the Hong Kong price. Why don't you try it and tell me how it goes.

I'm somewhat curious as to see whether US or HK is cheaper on electronics. Using your laptop as a comparison, in Canada, the following is a listing for that laptop

Acer AS3820TG-6829, Notebook - Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz, 13.3" LCD, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6550 1GB, No ODD, Wireless BGN, Bluetooth, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium | Canada Computers

4gb instead of 2gb. Given that 2gb upgrade on a laptop costs... around 80 or so, let's just call it shipping.

At $760 CAD after taxes ( pretty much the same in USD ) how does that compare to HK prices?

I don't feel that HK is cheaper for electronics, I have always found them cheaper in the USA ( for laptops ) and in Tokyo for Japanese made photographic gear. We purchased a new laptop earlier this year, Dells fab XPS17-2630 which cost us $4000hkd more than what I could have paid had we purchased it in the USA.

Some things are about the same though, I just purchased a Manfrotto tripod for the same price here as what was available on the US/EU/UK websites so its not always more, but it is usually. Camera prices in Akihabara, Tokyo we have usually managed to save 30% compared to what was offered in Hong Kong.

But with the laptop as I didn't want any warranty hassle, so just coughed up and paid the extra for the HK authorised model. A small price to pay for our low income taxes, so it all works out fair in the end....

Last edited by Skyhook; 27-07-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Generally the only things I buy on the internet are things that can also be delivered through the internet ie. digital files such mp3s, digital books etc. If it's a physical object then I'd rather just pop round the corner, see it all it's glory (or otherwise) have a chat with some real people and take it straight home rather than waiting for it to be delivered. Or get it tailor-made after talking to the people who will be making it directly.

I of course occasionally make an exception for the splendid ShopInHK service.

You can find some computer stuff way cheaper in computer stores here... You may also notice the serial number scratched off/missing from then. If it seems too good to be true then it probably isn't.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast