Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SK65

Trying to find smoked paprika

Closed Thread

Trying to find smoked paprika

I've checked Great, City Super, 360, Oliver's, Wellcome, International with no luck. Does anyone know if I can find it here or do I need to buy a case when I'm back in the US?

Thanks, Amy

Smoked Paprika-Smoked Paprika Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...KA_POWDER.html
    Another Geoexpat poster claims that you don't always have to bulk-buy on alibaba. Worth a try...?
    Last edited by Satay Sue; 09-08-2011 at 01:10 PM.

My wife looked for the stuff for almost 5 years with no luck. We're convinced that no one is bringing the stuff in. We buy some in the UK whenever we go over there.

I've tasted the stuff, and I'm convinced that it doesn't make that much difference; just use normal paprika

To me it makes a huge difference - the smoked stuff gives soups a nice smokey flavor, the regular paprika doesn't seem to have any flavor at all. I'll take a look at the alibaba source - thanks!

The southern americans have another word for it... arghhh what is it? I found some in City Super a few months under that name but didn't buy it. It isn't there anymore! Arrghhh

edit: pimenton picante - that's the name. Try looking for it under that name (if you haven't already).

Smoked paprika - best use is for chimichurri sauce. Fact.

Last edited by luckycat; 09-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Bought a tin yesterday from City Super in IFC. Its in a red tin called La Chinta, Pimenton de la Vera, Smoked Paprika powder. I found it tucked in among all the other herbs and spices. It's easy to miss as it's in a tin and not jars like all the rest.
    Good luck finding it.

Loz_2 and HowardCoombs like this.

Just looked for it and could not locate it. Boo. Which City Super? IFC?

I haven't checked yet since I still have some left over from my US trip, but if anyone is desperate, check out Penzey's, an online spice shop (US-based). I don't know their prices for international shipping (you need to email them to find out), but you can get the smoked paprika in 1-lb bags if you wish! Penzeys Spices. Over 250 Spices, Herbs and Seasonings.

Yes, City Super in IFC mall. There was plenty on the shelf when I bought mine. Looks like they had a run on it from Geo members. Find the isle with the spices and it towards the end of the shelf in a small red tin about 2x2x3 inches big.
    Good luck

I found it in Taste in Festival Walk/Kowloon Tong. It is not the powder, but actual smoked paprika in a vinegary, oily liquid.