Like Tree13Likes

Bread making machine

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

OK, what is in breadmix that is not in flour. C'mon spill the beans.

A mix of stuff called "bread improvers". I know if you make your own bread with flour, you have to add improvers, milk flour, sugar, salt and a few other things. Lethicin as well I think.

Anyway, the one I buy is the white sac at the bottom: Laucke Flour Mills - Retail Premixes

EDIT - finally found the ingredients list:
    Ingredients
    Unbleached Wheaten Flour, Yeast, Salt, Soya Flour, Malted Wheat Flour, Emulsifier (472(e)), Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Sulphate, Thiamine.
    Laucke Bread Pre-mixes contain no added sugar, preservatives or animal fats.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 12-08-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Kenwood have 3 models available

The BM450

The BM366

and the base model BM250

Kenwood Hong Kong's website > Kenwood - Customer Experience

we've got a Morphy Richards machine (second hand...no idea of origin)...basic whole wheat recipe includes strong wholemeal (wholewheat) flour (reg flour is for cakes and such apparently, tho I'm no expert), skim milk powder, brown sugar, sunflower oil, salt, fast rising yeast, water...makes a 2lb loaf in 3.5 hrs, or on a timer overnight...great for those of us without an oven...all bought in quantities enough for a loaf a week for a month, at Taste...works for me

MovingIn07 likes this.

the bread machine has been marvellous. We've made wholemeal bread, french bread, and cake. Pasta and bagels up next I think.

David how much did it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    A mix of stuff called "bread improvers". I know if you make your own bread with flour, you have to add improvers, milk flour, sugar, salt and a few other things. Lethicin as well I think.

Anyway, the one I buy is the white sac at the bottom: Laucke Flour Mills - Retail Premixes

Ingredients
    Unbleached Wheaten Flour, Yeast, Salt, Soya Flour, Malted Wheat Flour, Emulsifier (472(e)), Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Sulphate, Thiamine.
    Those ingredients sound awful. What os wrong with flour, yeast, water and warmth?
    TheBrit likes this.

$2048 with a $120 rebate from the card.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Those ingredients sound awful. What os wrong with flour, yeast, water and warmth?
    Certainty that it will actually turn out right. It's not just the ingredients. It's the ease by which you throw them into the machine and a perfect loaf comes out every time. I've done it the hard way numerous times. Sometimes it's great. Often it's a small, hard, nasty waste of time and ingredients. I JUST want something that resembles bread from the UK or Australia, with minimal intervention. I'm not a fussy foodie who frets about additives (and besides, if you read the ingredients list, the actual list didn't have any additives in there anyway).

Definition of additive:

1. ad·di·tive/ˈaditiv/

Noun: A substance added to something in small quantities, typically to improve or preserve it.
      Adjective: Characterized by, relating to, or produced by addition: "an additive process". More »
      Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Additives you use for making bread:

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Ingredients
    Humm...

Anyway, IMHO the best part of making bread yourself is knowing exactly what goes into it (or, more pointedly, what sh!te doesn't go into it). It doesn't make sense to me to add those. Just go to City Super if you want tasty bread that has a whole load of sh!te in the mix.