Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Joseph098765
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

GROUPON for travel? any experience?

Closed Thread

GROUPON for travel? any experience?

following on from the other threads regarding these bulk coupon sites...

was wondering if anyone had ever had problems with purchasing the discount only to find that the flights/hotels on offer were fully booked?

i haven't yet bought as i'm a little concerned about how it all works...

if anyone can shed some light on this possibility and their experiences, i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

I have been tempted to try it out, the fine print shows that the travel period is quite short - usually within the month the offer is on Groupon. I called one of the agents that was on Groupon to check out availability options before actually purchasing the offer.. most weekend travel was fully booked (they offered to upsell, which defeats the purpose), and if you couldnt get the the travel dates you wanted, you would need to apply for a refund from Groupon - not sure how good they are on their refund policy?

So I guess, if you are flexible on travelling weekdays, there would be more availability and it could be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    following on from the other threads regarding these bulk coupon sites...

was wondering if anyone had ever had problems with purchasing the discount only to find that the flights/hotels on offer were fully booked?

i haven't yet bought as i'm a little concerned about how it all works...

if anyone can shed some light on this possibility and their experiences, i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

Just a short analysis

I have seen many travel deal on Groupon and I was impressed untill I read a comment here saying its not good.

I read another deal about Beijing travel, and I look more into it because I am just booked my tickets and hotel for Beijing travel. Lets see the Groupon deal

Here is deal page - $2499 for HK-Beijing flight+4D3N hotel stay w/ breakfast at Jie Ling Express ($4625 value)

I am just analyzing one Groupon offer -

$2499 (9-12 Sep) 1 Air China HK-Beijing economy class return flight ticket + 4D3N Beijing Ibis

Hence 2 ppl pays 4998 + Tax i.e. $1368 = $ 6366

Lets calculate cost if you book ticket on your own
    Air ticket - 1840 * 2 - 3680 + tax $ 1368 = 5048 - check link
    Hotel cost (3 nights - including Tax) - $ 1431 (as per Agoda)

Total cost - $ 6499

Hence, certainly its not 45 % discount as shown on website, unless I am missing anything.
    shri and bdw like this.

You are missing one more -ve on the Groupon offer. I havent investigated that one, but I would bet that the flight they are offering you will not be the best flight for you but rather it will be the least favorite flight of the day.

Doing it yourself or finding all your choices from your favorite travel agent gives you the best flexibility with a reasonable price. Having a tiny discount for taking horribly timed flights is false economy.

i've actually checked the flight sched on offer and it fits me perfectly.....

what i'm most concerned about is that the flight/hotels will be fully booked.

the offer i'm interested in is the $1699 to BKK including hotel...

best thing to do is contact the travel agency and ask flight and hotel schedules for the time period that you are trying to fly on.

Trends Holiday (License No. 352844)
    Room 2608, Trendy Centre, 682-684 Castle Peak Road
    Lai Chi Kok HK
    Luckyinbound潮遊假期

Also the total cost is as per below after adding the extra costs.

$1699 + $820 (Tax/Fuel Surcharge) + $150 surcharge if departing on Thu/Fri/Sat = $2699

also need to look at the below.

Must submit booking form to Trends Holiday via fax or email before 15 September 2011

Lai Chi Kok flagship store
    682-684 Castle Peak Road, Lai Chi Kok Road
    Trendy Centre, Room 2608-9
    Tel: 23599810
    Fax: 25703322

Mongkok Branch
    610 Nathan Road, Kowloon
    7th Floor, Hollywood Plaza, Room 709
    Tel: 23320583
    Fax: 27301629

Yuen Long Branch
    No. 23 Tai Tong Road, Yuen Long, New Territories
    Hop Yick Plaza, Shop No. B34
    Tel: 24792838
    Fax: 24792100

Tsuen Wan Branch
    Chuen Lung Street, Tsuen Wan, New Territories, No. 88
    Concord Plaza, 1st Floor Shop No. 117 & 119
    Tel: 23320022
    Fax: 26145664

Last edited by wtbhotia; 15-08-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    best thing to do is contact the travel agency and ask flight and hotel schedules for the time period that you are trying to fly on.

Fax: 26145664
    Nice list ... whats the connect ??