Tailor

Closed Thread

Tailor

My husbands needs to have shirts made. Can you recommend a good tailor? Also wondering what the average price for a good quality shirt is? He had some shirts made for 500 each. The quality was good but I thought it was a bit expensive. Is this the going price or can we find cheaper? Thanks.

Try Golden Peak tailors in World Wide House in Central. Second Floor. He doesn't like listening so much so you need to be patient, but the shirts are good at about 300-350 dollars each.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Try Golden Peak tailors in World Wide House in Central. Second Floor. He doesn't like listening so much so you need to be patient, but the shirts are good at about 300-350 dollars each.
    I use Golden Peak for alterations, but would never recommend for getting clothes made. Once ordered a couple of shirts for a party (needed something to match a color scheme) and the result was not impressive - fit just about average, but selection of fabrics was poor (most fabrics seemed low quality), finishing of the shirts was atrocious (cheap interlining for collar and cuffs), and some of my specifications were not followed (chest pockets, no gauntlet buttons, etc.).

I have had a few suits and lots of shirts from there. You just have to keep sending him back to make alterations. I wanted a slim-fit shirt. It came back baggy. He took some more in, it came back standard, he took more in, still wasn't slim fit enough and on the fourth attempt, it was perfect. If you're in a rush, don't go there, but like I said, you get what you pay for. With a bit of patience and clear communication (my problem is that I don't speak Canto and his English isn't great), you can get decent shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    I have had a few suits and lots of shirts from there. You just have to keep sending him back to make alterations. I wanted a slim-fit shirt. It came back baggy. He took some more in, it came back standard, he took more in, still wasn't slim fit enough and on the fourth attempt, it was perfect. If you're in a rush, don't go there, but like I said, you get what you pay for. With a bit of patience and clear communication (my problem is that I don't speak Canto and his English isn't great), you can get decent shirts.
    Having to go multiple times pretty much defeats the purpose of saving HKD~200 per shirt. Anyway, fit is the least of the problems - even if they get the fit right eventually, you will still be stuck with the sub-par construction and materials.

Hey, maybe you are right. I don't currently have a cause for concern over either quality of construction or materials, but if you are telling me 4 times is very unusual, I will take your word for it.

I didn't have shirts made in the UK - just bought them off the peg - but it is a nice and novel experience having them made here.

I quite like the Golden Peak guy, though. He looks a little bit like Yoda (and talks in that inimitable manner, too!)

tailor

My husband uses William Cheng & Son
    8/F, 38 Hankow Road
    Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
    Tel: 2739 7888

350 average

Thanks so much for the input. What about suit alterations? Any suggestions?