Like Tree6Likes

Bagged/Frozen Vegetables

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bagged/Frozen Vegetables

Any idea if there are any specialized stores for frozen vegies or some supermarkets with bigger variety but still affordable?

I just returned from Europe and have been spoiled with a huge variety of inexpensive frozen bagged vegetables. At Metro a 2.5kg bag would cost me HKD 65 and they had a huge number of choices. At other supermarkets 750 grams HK$ 15-25 per kg (or more depending on "brand"). Now I am back in HK with my somewhat limited (affordable) variety. In Hong Kong I mostly rely on the following:

The classic, HKD 11.90 or so for around 450 grams.

Another classic, I thought about HKD 11.90 as well, but apparently it's HKD 15.90 according to PNS online store. 450 grams as well.

Arctic Garden Italian Style Mix - the good stuff! I am looking for more like this. HKD 40.90 for 750 grams.

Sometimes I also have frozen carrots, leafy spinach (unable to find creamed spinach), different beans, and of course also canned vegies like mushrooms, beans, green beans, corn, diced tomatoes etc. Trying to avoid cans though. And I try to buy only pure vegies, so no "asia oriental mix" with spices/oil in the mix. I also don't buy fries or other stuff to fry or bake, I am more after the fibrous vegetables.

I also buy fresh, but frozen vegetables are more convenient, no need to shop around every two days and they are prepared within minutes.

I have a slightly bigger freezer so no problem to travel a bit for restocks.

Last edited by 100LL; 28-09-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Citysuper has a variety of frozen vegetables. They won't be ever so cheap as they are, of course, imported.

Football16 likes this.

U can freeze your own. Thats what i do.

Thanks Claire ex-ax, I shopped for a long time at Citysuper but I am afraid it would ruin me financially if I start eating a $100 pack of frozen vegies with all my meals

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Well, you are looking at a niche product with low availability/demand/turnover and hence high prices. Easiest solution seems to be hit the wet markets once a month and freeze what you buy. Cheaper and more choice.

I am still full of hope that there is some kind of importer specialized in frozen vegies. I can't imagine that all restos in HK buy/process fresh vegies. I would even buy Chinese frozen vegetable if I'd know where...

Check KaiBo supermarket, it's a really local local place, but you shall find what you seek.

Kai Bo Food Supermarket

dear giant likes this.

Try jusco or apita as well. They have a wider selection and promos

Football16 likes this.

foot (i'm copying someone else who called you this, I quite like it ) - why do you keep pumping kai-bo? that place is a bit of a disaster.

OP - let us know how you get on. Wet markets are cool and all but it's nice to have some frozen veg in the freezer as well. Really doubt any restaurants use any though with the exception of peas and maybe, just maybe corn.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast