Like Tree10Likes

Cheaper Groceries (Tung Chung)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

the wet markets in Tung Chung (both Fu Tung and Yat Tung) are two of the most expensive in hong kong.

If you're serious about getting cheaper stuff, get your trolley and take the E31 to Tsuen Wan.

veg is at least $2 cheaper per catty,
    pig at least $4 cheaper
    similar for cow

and if you have a basket, go buy some eggs too.

I would also reecommend the dumplings from the rude shanghai lady's shop on Market street. Verry good.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTC:
    pig at least $4 cheaper
    similar for cow
    So how much does a pig or cow cost? And are they allowed on the bus?
    MovingIn07 and elle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTC:
    the wet markets in Tung Chung (both Fu Tung and Yat Tung) are two of the most expensive in hong kong.

sad but true.
    but tomany gwailos it is still cheap.
    it show how they screw us back home where one single kiwi is HK$ 5

Taking a bus, to Tsuen Wan, to go to a wet market.

The only way to increase the masochism of this exercise would be if one strolled into a torture chamber hidden in the bowels of the wet market, willingly walked into an iron maiden, and allowed the maiden to be closed in upon oneself.

whoisit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Taking a bus, to Tsuen Wan, to go to a wet market.

The only way to increase the masochism of this exercise would be if one strolled into a torture chamber hidden in the bowels of the wet market, willingly walked into an iron maiden, and allowed the maiden to be closed in upon oneself.
    Yes those seelais are really tough, they do it day in day out, arriving back at 8:30am.

Local housewives aren't tough per se. They just place absolutely no value on their time (aside from the span between their getting into an elevator and the doors automatically closing), enjoy playing human bumper cars and being immersed in a constant stream of shouting, and value a dollar saved here or there above all else.

MovingIn07 and elle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Local housewives aren't tough per se. They just place absolutely no value on their time (aside from the span between their getting into an elevator and the doors automatically closing), enjoy playing human bumper cars and being immersed in a constant stream of shouting, and value a dollar saved here or there above all else.

I have to say that while I disagree with the generalization overall, the 'placing no value on time' rings true with my mother in law.

When she needs to go to zhuhai, she gets a bus to shenzhen border, walks across, gets mtr+taxi to ferry pier, then gets ferry across.

There is a direct ferry to zhuhai from HK, but this would cost an extra $50 (actually I think the difference is even smaller given rmb strength)! This is the same lady who buys a handful of dried maggots for $2000+ and puts them in soup.

Lovely, generous and very friendly lady, though... as well as a great host! (unless she's cooked soup)
    MovingIn07, dear giant and elle like this.