Like Tree7Likes

respected and valued birthday gift for (HK) Chinese mother-in-law

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

respected and valued birthday gift for (HK) Chinese mother-in-law

Are there any other respected gift ideas like wine, chocolate, or flowers that i can give and seen as valued birthday gift to give to my chinese (hk) mother-in-law?

Edible underwear?

nobby15 likes this.

A grandchild.

nobby15, rani and carang like this.

cash.........you got married?

nobby15 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman26:
    Are there any other respected gift ideas like wine, chocolate, or flowers that i can give and seen as valued birthday gift to give to my chinese (hk) mother-in-law?
    What are her interests?

Buy something in relation to her interests.
    dear giant likes this.

I was just thinking the same thing, we definitely got passed by the Dutchy on the left hand side, if he did.....

Gefeliciteerd Dutchman26

As to what might be a thoughtful gift, really depends on what your mother in law is like, which makes it a little difficult to suggest.

Take the whole family out for a birthday banquet and remember if you are inviting, you are the one that pays. You'll earn a lot of family face and set the right tone to your mother in law that you are a good provider.....Also pre order the dishes and pay upfront, that way making sure that you have paid, so no other family member cuts your lunch by paying instead. Paying the bill is a bit of a sport, if you wait to pay near the end of the meal, another family member will likely pay instead, which would be bad if you invited everybody....

A green hat

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    A green hat
    That would be a better choice for the father inlaw!

Get the MIL a clock

I second Skyhook's suggestion, although the others have chimed in with some good ones. It's important to get it flat with your missus that you will be paying, so if that means ordering ahead and paying up front, be sure to work with her on the menu.

How about fruit baskets and a bouquet delivered on the day of the dinner? Or is that too funeral-ish?

A nice watch/bag or any jewelry will do the trick. And you can't go wrong taking out the family for dinner, just make sure you pay the bill.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast