Like Tree24Likes

Shopping: costs UK v HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

HK is a piece of piss to buy stuff for a good price

Household stuff, Jusco, Ikea, Sogo etc etc which are not at all expensive.

Food, Park N Shop, Wellcome are not expensive at all. Wet Markets even cheaper for basics like meat and fruit n veg.

Clothes, Get it tailored here in HK or go to Places like H&M, Zara etc. Pricewise not too far away from UK.

It seems some people are too lazy to shop around and explore.

Alas, being a 6-5 guy with size 13 shoes, I'm in the same predicament - cant find anything off the rack to fit my size so I have to travel around to those big countries to get my clothes
    or have them made here.

At least when I do get them made, at a decent tailor, they cost a small fraction of what they would cost *back home*.

Tend to just buy all my clothes and shoes online now, though usually jeans are a bit difficult online, I could not survive here without the internet and a credit card.

HKs premium on top of premium pricing pisses me off. If I want to buy something of good quality which already has a premium price, I dont want to pay an extra premium on top just because HK retailers want to deem any non-Chinese owned brand a "luxury item". TVs are one of the worst, it is not often you see items priced literally double that which is quoted overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    TVs are one of the worst, it is not often you see items priced literally double that which is quoted overseas.
    You *can* get brand name TVs at a decent price but that wont happen by going to big shopping malls or chain stores. Search some of the older threads here and you will find a lot of pointers to help you save more and get very close (if not better than) to the prices from other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    Tend to just buy all my clothes and shoes online now, though usually jeans are a bit difficult online, I could not survive here without the internet and a credit card.

HKs premium on top of premium pricing pisses me off. If I want to buy something of good quality which already has a premium price, I dont want to pay an extra premium on top just because HK retailers want to deem any non-Chinese owned brand a "luxury item". TVs are one of the worst, it is not often you see items priced literally double that which is quoted overseas.
    you should shop around, tv's in hk are priced similar to uk, just like uk's curry is pricey compared to independent retailers.

for example very similar tv (actually the same tv difference in digital tuner) but amazing it's cheaper in HK!!

uk sony kdl-40ex523 at 650 quid (HK$8060)

Sony KDL40EX523BU 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Edge: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

hk's kdl-40ex520 at around HK$7000 ( 564 quid),

Sony KDL-40EX520 - LCD TV - 家庭影音 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you should shop around, tv's in hk are priced similar to uk, just like uk's curry is pricey compared to independent retailers.

for example very similar tv (actually the same tv difference in digital tuner) but amazing it's cheaper in HK!!

Sony KDL40EX523BU 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Edge: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

update

Fortress price HK$8980 (not too far from UK amazon price, around 70 quid more), thus, the double the price for same tv in HK compared to UK is a myth!, what is known is that people don't do their homework when buying tv, ie, research model numbers and prices

http://www.fortress.com.hk/fortress/...ASNYKDL40EX520
    Last edited by imparanoic; 21-11-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:

Is this the same TV?

Buy Cheap Sony KDL-40EX523 40 Inch Full HD Freeview HD Bravia LED TV - Simply Electricals

If so I found it for 500 pounds (admittedly after a 100 pound rebate).
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Is this the same TV?

Buy Cheap Sony KDL-40EX523 40 Inch Full HD Freeview HD Bravia LED TV - Simply Electricals

If so I found it for 500 pounds (admittedly after a 100 pound rebate).
    well, i said it was around HK$7000, cheapest was at HK$6500 ( 520 quid), so the price is similar, not the double the price as mentioned by the OP.

spec compared to spec, almost the same, apart from uk's kdl-40ex523 has the mainly european dvb-t digital and europe only scart socket ( rgb compatible which will be very useful for classic retro gamers) while hk kdl-40ex520 ver has china dtmb-t tuner, both are 50htz edge led backlit lcd tv, 4 hdmi, ethernet compatible and usb inputted TV

even the sony's uk and hk list price is similar 750 quid as opposed to HK$8990, check it yourself, the fact i check tv prices and specs for my clients thoughout the world for my job means i have to be aware of prices (ie, uae, au, us, uk, japan and sg, and othe places)

Sony BRAVIA EX520 - Sonystyle.com.hk

KDL-40EX523 (KDL40EX523, KDL40EX523BU) : Technical Specifications : TV & home cinema : Sony

Take advantage of your credit card discounts and at places like Fortress and Broadway they will give discounts.

Got $1000 knocked off the price of a 42 inch LED just by asking whats the best price they can do.