Like Tree19Likes

x-mas present for a tech fan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

x-mas present for a tech fan

I am currently in the middle of Chrismas shopping madness and the present for the most important person is still missing!

What would you give a guy who is deeply in love with everything technical?
    There is just too many options and Im totally lost....
    Is there anything new and hot on the market right now? Iphone 4s is not an option, he´s officially waiting for the 5th version

Ipad2? projector? anything new to pimp up his ps3?...

please help!

desperate not-a-tech-freak

Original Post Deleted
    you are right, shame on me forgetting the budget information. Value of IPAD2, about 4500 HKD would be absolutelly my limit.

yes, he is a passionate gamer (shooting and racing games) with very limited time for this hobby (warcoholic and actually he has all new games right now

projector for home cinema effects would be a new toy in his collection, but most of them are over my budget, no idea how is the quality of the cheapper versions...

Brit, very appreciate the tissues if they had batterties or cable it could be sth for my boyfriend

camera, another good point. he recently discovered this area and guess what, all the equipment is there... Of coure I asked him, what he eventually misses. Answer? "I really dont need anything"

Oh lord, there has to be sth to suprise him, but with no technical knoledge I will probably end with IPAD2 (I know at least he likes it).

Still appreciate your suggestions

dear giant likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Brit, please dont laugh now, I know lens ... but what is dSLR??? You see, Im hopeless

iPad 2 is probably the safest bet. If you can get and afford another $100US, you might also see about finding and Apple TV (probably from the US or UK) so that he can play games on his iPad on the big screen TV. Don't think the Apple TV is sold here through resellers (but you can find it in Mongkok and Wanchai computer centers)

l wouldn't go for Apple TV to be honest.
    ipad2 sounds good - or even one of the new big Galaxy Tab's as they are better for real techies while having the similar look and feel to an ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    iPad 2 is probably the safest bet. If you can get and afford another $100US, you might also see about finding and Apple TV (probably from the US or UK) so that he can play games on his iPad on the big screen TV. Don't think the Apple TV is sold here through resellers (but you can find it in Mongkok and Wanchai computer centers)
    o please dont suggest MK or Wanchai computer hell. Those guys will imediatelly check out that I have no bloody know how and who knows what I come back home with...

and unfortunatelly another 1000 hkd is not in my budget any more
    dear giant likes this.

On the gaming side:
    If it is pc games he plays and the mouse and/or keyboard is getting old maybe you could check out the schmick Razor gaming mice and keyboards at Wan Chai comp centre.

If a console gamer (sounds like it from the ps3 mention)
    - does he have a headset to yell at noobs with?
    - Does he have all the big releases at the moment (Arkam Asylum, BF3, Uncharted)?
    - Would he like a steering wheel and pedals for the racing games?

just give him the money or buy vouchers . that will save the stress for both parties.

A non-geek buying a geeky gift for a serious geek has a high probability of failure in my view. He knows far better than you ever will what he really wants, and if it's available at a sensible price he probably has it.

Stop trying to out-geek him, and (since this gift thing seems to be a big deal for you when, in my experience, it isn't for most uber-geeks) go for something completely different. Like champagne, caviar or something.

Last edited by Editor; 06-12-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast